Thursday, 18 November 2010

Is Twitter worth $3 billion?

Maybe. It seems reasonable to me. TechCrunch reports that Twitter is considering raising some cash.

I was on Twitter for a while (and Facebook, for a while longer) but I got fed up with all the phoneys who were following me. I'm not suggesting that everyone who followed me was a phoney, I'm just saying quite a few of my followers were phoneys. And I couldn't always tell who was genuine and who was false, so I got out. (Genuine readers [fans?!] can email me, if they want to.) That's the problem with the internet: you don't know who your friends are.

This probably doesn't matter to most people. I suppose you could accuse me of being oversensitive. I guess I'm still influenced by one of the first serious novels I read and fell in love with, The Catcher in the Rye. The hero of that book, Holden Caulfield, hates phoneys so much he has a breakdown. It would be hard to imagine him on Twitter or Facebook.