Monday, 10 October 2011

'Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, uh, your opinion, man.'

Thank you, Dude. I couldn't have said it better myself.

My adorable angel rarely gets anything wrong. But she was wrong this weekend about the internet, saying that it's flimsy and faddish.

Dear oh dear. The internet hasn't even got started yet! My one true love is like a theatre actress viewing a Charlie Chaplin film in 1914, and saying: 'It won't last. It's a fad.' I don't know how many times I have to tell everyone BUT: you've got to be a visionary! You've got to be able to look one hundred, two hundred, three hundred years into the future. In the year 2525, if Man is still alive, there'll be no printed books - except the ones in the museum, right next to the monk-handwritten books. There'll be no TV, no cinema, no radio, no newspapers. EVERYTHING WILL BE ON THE INTERNET. And the internet will be nothing like it is today.

And that's, you know, just, like, er, my opinion, man.

Oh, am I worried about my blog disappearing? Well, by the time I move on to the undiscovered country I'm hoping it will be well known enough for "people" to want to look after it. Failing that, there's always the British Library web archive. The British Library won't be going gentle into that good night any time soon.