Monday 25 June 2007

Interview with Ganesh the elephant god (edited highlights)

Michael: Does it disturb you that you look like an elephant?

Ganesh: Not really. It's something you get used to. It makes me stand out from the crowd. Not many gods look like me.

Michael: You are the god of wealth and success. How has that worked out for you?

Ganesh: Well, I'm a god, aren't I? You can't get much more successful than that. As for my wealth, I would rather not talk about it, for tax reasons.

Michael: Millions of people pray to you every day. Does it help them?

Ganesh: You would have to ask them. I don't think it does them any harm. If you want to get rich there are worse gods you can go to.

Michael: What about Lakshmi?

Ganesh: I don't want to talk about her.

Michael: Are you rivals?

Ganesh: No comment.

Michael: What do you think of the money mystics and financial shamans?

Ganesh: I know they work in investment banks now. It's a smart move. Mysticism is becoming more serious, more commercial, and that can only be a good thing.

Michael: Do you know Big Herb?

Ganesh: Yes, he's a friend. We may work together soon on a new project, but I can't say much more than that at the moment.

Michael: Where do you see yourself, in say, a thousand years time?

Ganesh: Right now, my power base is in India. I would like to expand beyond that. I'm looking at America.