Monday 8 February 2021

What are unicorn companies?

Well, it's pretty obvious really. They're companies that manufacture unicorns. 'That's ridiculous, boss! You can't make a unicorn.' Okay, uh ... let me think for a  moment. 'Ask Emma.' No! Listen! They're companies that capture unicorns, from the wild, like ... and then they, uh ... sell them, I suppose. How about that, Voice? 'That's just as ridiculous. Unicorns don't exist.' Yeah, yeah.

I swear I've seen some on the astral plane ...

'I think we've discussed these unicorn companies before ...'

Shut up.

Anyway, it's a PR email ...

Rob Israch, CMO at Tipalti, comments on the trends which may continue further into 2021 and beyond: "As you can see from our previous research, the last three years have seen a decrease in the number of unicorn companies. Though considering the current economic climate, it's commendable that these companies are succeeding even in times of difficulties. As more new innovations and services are created as a result of our 'new normal', we could see an even bigger burst in new startups and investments moving into 2021."

Previous research? So ... oh, I don't know. 'Where's the chart?' Chart? 'Well, that box with all the stuff in it. The names of the companies.' I don't know what you're talking about, Voice. I really don't.

Idiot!

"2021 is already seeing some surge in investments, with five companies receiving unicorn status in the first week of the year. While there is a lot of disruption in every industry at the moment, businesses are finding new and innovative ways to keep moving, and even thrive. It may be that private-market investors are anticipating exit valuations and that a late-coming venture market will continue this year."

Okay, okay. 'Who sent you this, boss?' Emma. 'Oh, of course. Ask her about the unicorns.' No!

No, no. It doesn't matter. And I don't want to bother her. But I'll let Rob finish ...

"When we take a closer look at the unicorns in the market, it is clear that these businesses have reached status by focusing on the product-market-fit for their specific product. They all have a unique strategy of growth, whether this be VC funding or bootstrapping, with some even using crowdfunding. Our research shows that the fintech and e-commerce industries in particular were thriving in 2020, suggesting that these, along with other growing industries such as AI and internet services, will continue to service and innovate consumers in their time of need and hit unicorn status in 2021."

Okay, well ... it sounds fascinating, whatever this is all about.

The thing is, I don't really want to bother Emma with it. Maybe I should know what unicorn companies are. I mean - 'Google it!' I haven't got the time. 'You've got plenty of time.' Shut up, please.

Be quiet.

ENDS

Just be quiet.

...

I want to be quiet today, and I want everyone else to be quiet.

There's snow outside.

Maybe I'll go out ... and lie down in the snow, and feel the soft flakes falling on my face.

Cold as ... snow. Yes, cold as snow.

And where are the swans? Are they still on the lake?

I can't hear the green parrots ...

And where are the dolphins?

Never, never ... mind.

I can hear the parrots!