Tuesday 2 January 2018

No financial news at the moment ...

Uh, I'm sorry about this, dear reader(s), but I'm afraid not everyone is as hard working as me. I mean, I did a full day yesterday while everyone else was watching TV. (Or whatever it is they do in their holidays.) 'No PR emails, boss?' No emails, Voice. And no new financial news anywhere. 'Christ!' Yeah.

So ... oh, I've finished that Elon Musk biography (by Ashlee Vance). It's probably the best biography I've ever read. 'What?! Better than Christian Meier's Caesar?' Yes, because Julius Caesar is a dusty historical character. 'But we know a lot about him, boss.' I know we do, Voice. I've read his Conquest of Gaul. 'Was that good?' Lots of bridges, man. 'Nice.' Yes, Caesar had a real hard-on for building bridges. 'What about Freaky Dancin' by Bez?' Oh, that's brilliant, truly brilliant, but it's an autobiography.

Anyway, I'm, uh ... on my fresh start, for the new year, like. 'Ha! What fresh start, Mikey?!' It's top secret. 'And will you stick to it?' Er ... it's an existential commitment, son, so what do you think? Of course I'll stick to it!

I can't think of much else to write about. NOTHING. 'Your music?' No. That's secret, too. 'Politics? Brexit?' Be serious. Jesus H. - !!! 'What then?!' I don't know, man. Just nothing, that's all.

What's the weather like? Is it spring yet? Or summer. 'It's still winter.' Bloody hell!

Oh, here's a good bit from the Elon Musk book (after Musk had saved his companies from ruin) -

For Gracias, the Tesla and SpaceX investor and Musk's friend, the 2008 period told him everything he would ever need to know about Musk's character. He saw a man who arrived in the United States with nothing, who had lost a child, who was being pilloried in the press by reporters and his ex-wife and who verged on having his life's work destroyed. "He has the ability to work harder and endure more stress than anyone I've ever met," Gracias said. "What he went through in 2008 would have broken anyone else. He didn't just survive. He kept working and stayed focused." That ability to stay focused in the midst of a crisis stands as one of Musk's main advantages over other executives and competitors. "Most people who are under that sort of pressure fray," Gracias said. "Their decisions go bad. Elon gets hyperrational. He's still able to make very clear, long-term decisions. The harder it gets, the better he gets. Anyone who saw what he went through firsthand came away with more respect for the guy. I've just never seen anything like his ability to take pain."

Change the name "Musk" to "Caesar", and it could be Meier writing about Caesar's struggle to conquer Gaul. And if that sounds like hyperbole, bear in mind what Musk is actually trying to achieve: With Tesla he wants to do away with oil, and with SpaceX he wants to build a colony on Mars.

Well, have a nice day, blog fan(s)! 'Laters!' Yeah. Bye!