Monday 1 October 2018

Money for robots!

Great news, eh? They needed a bit of cash. 'What's this, boss?' A PR email, Voice. Some robots wanted some money, and they got it. Everyone's happy! All's well that ends well, etc. 'Yeah, yeah. I'm sure there's more to it than that.' Ha! ...

PRESS RELEASE 28 September - London, UK - SLAMcore, a UK company developing spatial artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms for robots and drones, today announced that it has raised $5m in funding led by global technology investor Amadeus Capital Partners. Existing investors Mirai Creation Fund and Toyota AI Ventures joined the round alongside newcomers MMC Ventures and Octopus Ventures.

You see, Voice, reader(s)? 'Yeah, I was right.' That's what I pay you for, to be right. 'You don't pay me.' Ha! / And there's still more, blog fan(s)! Look! -

"The robotics revolution may seem just around the corner but there is still a big gap between the videos we see on the internet and real-world robots," said CEO, Owen Nicholson. "SLAMcore is helping robot and drone creators to bridge the gap between demos and commercially-viable systems."

Thanks, Owen, mate! I just hope you know what you're doing. I mean, robots and that. It's a funny business.

To be truly useful, robots and drones require spatial intelligence, including the ability to accurately calculate their position, understand unfamiliar surroundings, and navigate with consistent reliability. The fundamental algorithms that achieve this spatial awareness are often referred to as Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM). SLAMcore offers spatial AI solutions designed to easily integrate into existing platforms, allowing robotics companies to concentrate on delivering value to the end customer.

Okay, okay. Thanks! 'Who said that?' What? 'That last bit.' Uh, that was me, just saying thanks. 'I know! Who were you saying thanks to?' Owen. 'No, after him.' Oh. Er, just a voice, Voice. Does it matter? 'Not really.' Are you sure? 'Yes.' Christ! Did you get out of the wrong side of the astral plane this morning? / We've got Stefan now ...

"It is a really exciting time for robotics," said SLAMcore co-founder Dr Stefan Leutenegger. "We are seeing a convergence of geometric computer vision algorithms, availability of high-performance computational hardware, and Deep Learning. We are embracing this new world and will move quickly towards offering solutions for robots requiring an advanced level of understanding of their environment."

Fair enough, Stefan. / Personally, though, I reckon it could all end in tears. You know, with these cockamamie robots running around killing everyone.

...

Right. Anything else? Music? I wrote a new tune yesterday. 'Yippee!' Yeah. 'Is it any good?' It's one of my best, Voice. Maybe the very best. 'Nice one, boss!' I've got to write the lyric, obviously. / So, I have nearly fifteen songs now! (I still need the lyric for that tune from the other week, too.) It means that You're Lying might be demoted to a B-side. And that was my best song on the first demo two years ago. 'Wow!' I'm making great progress, son. 'Big time.' Tell me about it!

Later(s), kook(s)!