Tuesday 27 December 2022

A look ahead to investing in 2023

Oh, do we have to?!

'Boss, this is a PR email from the 8th of December!'

Yeah, yeah, I know, I know. I've been putting it off, Voice. I don't actually want to look ahead at investing next year. I mean ...

Anyway ...

For immediate release, 8th December 2022.

Ha! Dream on!

Charlie Huggins, Head of Equities at Wealth Club, the online wealth manager shares his views on how investors might navigate the economic uncertainty and inflationary pressures that lie ahead in 2023.

Charlie, mate, come on ... I mean, really? Haven't you got anything else to talk about???

It's widely expected that the global economy will weaken in 2023, and an extra dollop of doom and gloom has been pencilled in for the UK economy.

It's not difficult to see why. High inflation and rising interest rates act as a handbrake on businesses and consumer spending. However, most experts agree that the stock market has already factored in this prevailing sentiment.

Obviously not.

'Was that him?'

Who?

'Charlie. Our Charlie.'

I don't know. I presume it was. But I don't know.

The key thing to bear in mind is that the economy and stock market aren't the same thing. In 2022, the economy has held up rather well, whereas stock markets have struggled. Be very wary of basing investment decisions on economic headlines.

Right.

The era of free money is over.

Oh, okay.

Very cheap borrowing costs meant companies and investors were awash with spare cash, while the lack of return on cash and bonds, forced investors to look elsewhere for returns. That created all sorts of excesses, with soaring prices for bitcoin, meme stocks and loss-making tech shares.

Yeah.

Rising interest rates mean debt is becoming more costly. With full employment and a global economy still chugging along, that hasn't been too much of a problem for most. However, should we go into a deep recession, companies with over-stretched balance sheets could find themselves in real trouble.

Listen, Charlie -

'Boss, you've been missing bits.'

I know, I know.

I'm just not in the mood. I've got bigger problems to deal with than investments. 'You don't have any investments.' Exactly! I'm just ...

I've been impressed this year with the way many companies have passed on price increases, in response to rising costs, without seeing too much disruption. But I think things may become harder.

Okay, Charlie, that's enough now.

ENDS
ENDS
ENDS

'Thanks, Charlie!'

Yeah, yeah.

...

Anything else? Music?

I need to get my demo online next month. I need to get the sound right. I think I've found a good position for the Zoom H5 Handy Recorder. I'll try recording again at the weekend, er ... starting Friday. I'm just going to rehearse until then. And I might try recording early in the morning about six, and late at night about eleven. 'What will the neighbours say, Mikey?!' I have no idea, Voice. No idea at all.

They like noise. Let them have some of mine!

Do you know what I mean, kooks?

Anyway ...

Mighty Soul
Shady, Dodgy, Shifty
This Love

Those three songs are more or less on the same level. 'What about Life and Death and Nothing ... ?' I don't know, man. Different sort of songs, aren't they? And I may need to add them to the demo later on. It all depends on what happens.

But those three are giving me a little bit of hope. Just a little bit.

You dig?

Laters.



No!

Listen! My BIG DOZEN is just as good as The Beatles BIG DOZEN.
That makes me the greatest songwriter in the world as far as I'm concerned.
But I could be dead soon because I can't record them properly.
Think about that.
And remember what I said.