Friday 14 November 2008

Soul fusion

Fuck, I'm in a right spot of bother at the moment. A big thank you to all the readers who contacted me and pointed out that in my post on Martin Hughes on Wednesday I somehow managed to mix his consciousness up with mine. That mind-hack of mine (basically, a soul scan) turned out to be an absolute disaster. If you read it carefully (the paragraph in italics) you will find things that couldn't possibly be a part of Martin's consciousness. For example: Akaky Akakievich. Akakievich is the hero of Gogol's short story The Overcoat. I wouldn't expect Martin to be familiar with that story, but it is one of my favourites. Similarly, the line: Some of these days you'll miss me honey, is actually a song lyric quoted in Sartre's Nausea. Another of my favourites. Basically, what has happened is, my consciousness and Martin's consciousness have come together. We are talking soul fusion here. By the way, Angel Delight - nothing to do with me.

This is a fucking mess. I'm being honest with you. An absolute fucking mess. Now, I have total respect for Martin Hughes. I admire the man. But I do not want to be his cosmic soul brother. At this moment in time, Martin and I are sharing an expanded soul. Two souls in one, if you like. It means he has access to my thoughts. And that's scary, because there is shit in my head that I don't want anyone to know about.

Anyway, I have been speaking to Keith Busby tonight. This is what he said to me: 'Michael, are you a complete fucking idiot? Mind-hacking, or soul-scanning, or whatever the fuck you want to call it, is not your area. I'm the expert. I've been trained in it. Why didn't you call me? I would have done the hack on Martin. The good news is, I can help you. Come and see me tomorrow, and we'll sort something out. We'll probably have to do a soul wipe.'

Thank God for Keith Busby. I know I've said some pretty awful things about him in the past, but he is a true friend. Hopefully, everything will be okay. I'll be back on Monday. Wish me luck.