Wednesday 19 February 2020

Your desire and your will are magical things

There are two possible explanations for the two greatest songwriters - oh, so far! - finding their way into the same band.

[I'm talking about Lennon and McCartney, obviously, and The Beatles.]

1] God or the goddamn cosmos put them there. Man, I'm not ruling it out because I believe in God and I believe in the cosmos.

2] Their desire and will - from being so close together - pushed them to those songwriting heights. If Bob Dylan and Paul Simon had found themselves in the same band, they would be better songwriters today.

Well, the second explanation is the most likely one. However, "desire" and "will" probably come from God or the cosmos anyway, so what difference does it make?

I don't know.

The greatest artists have always had faith in something. Some power outside themselves, you dig?

I'm not sure Picasso believed in God. However, he believed in the magical, shamanic power of art.

Dear reader(s), beloved kook(s) ...

What are you pushing yourself to do? I'm talking about something creative. Gods, human gods, create, you dig?

Yes, it's better if you push yourself - without help. I mean, it's more reliable. Lennon and McCartney were lucky to have each other, but Beethoven only had himself.

To be honest, on the highest level of creativity ... you have got to be deranged, obsessed.

Look at me! I would rather see the world burn than give up my music.

This is what I have learnt from examining high culture: the very greatest artists - Beethoven, Picasso, Shakespeare, Tolstoy - push themselves.

It doesn't happen in popular culture to anywhere near the same degree. So, as I say, Lennon and McCartney were lucky to have each other. Or maybe God put them together, ha!

Listen! I am taking the high culture attitude into popular culture. That's why no one will be able to compete with me.

Unless ...

Of course, some other songwriter may read this post and take the wisdom to heart, and apply it. That's unlikely though.

Reading something doesn't mean you understand it. And understanding something doesn't mean you are willing to make it a part of your soul.

Besides, we're living in a degraded age.

It helps to be an outsider. To be alienated.

Well, well ...

Do you want any more advice? Ha, ha, ha! I've given you too much. Those of you with any sense will know that this is pure gold. And it's all free!

Later(s), alligator(s)!

...

At this point high imagination failed;
But already my desire and my will
Were being turned like a wheel, all at one speed,

By the love which moves the sun and the other stars.

Dante.