Monday 3 December 2007

The MPC: lower interest rates

On Wednesday the members of the monetary policy committee at the Bank of England will get together and discuss the issue of a cut in interest rates. Everyone feels sure that lower interest rates are coming, but when are they coming?

This is a job for award-winning financial psychic Keith Busby. I wish to Christ that it wasn't a job for him, but I'm afraid it is. Keith says, 'Oh, you want my expertise now, do you? I suppose I'm not a total wanker after all. Well, anyway, I have been speaking to a wide range of dead bankers over the weekend, and the word on the astral plane is that there will be a cut in interest rates by the end of the week - probably Friday.'

Susan Flint from Bad Moon Investments disagrees, 'I can't see a change in interest rates for two or three weeks yet. I don't know what the hell Keith is on about. I mean, let's face facts. The man had a nervous breakdown only a little while ago, and he is notoriously unreliable. He talks shit most of the time - excuse my French. Michael, you're supposed to be the world's foremost financial shaman and the present money king. You should know what is going to happen.'

Well, my reply to Susan is - I can't do everything. Does anyone actually realize how busy I am? It's only a matter of time before I crack up myself. Keith is all right. I rely on him to trawl the astral plane for me because I can't be there every minute of every day. I'm only human.