Wednesday 27 May 2020

Refinitiv: Lipper European fund flows report - April 2020

It's that time again. 'What time again?' The time, Voice, when they send me the PR email. 'That was yesterday, boss.' Yes. But now it's today! Ha, ha, ha! For immediate release? Oh, I don't think so.

Anyway ...

Please see attached for the monthly European fund flows report from the Lipper team at Refinitiv:

Right. Come on then!

Long-term mutual funds posted net inflows for April 2020.
The overall fund flows for mutual funds in Europe in April amounted to estimated net inflows of €86.2 bn.
Money market funds (+€47.8 bn) were the best-selling individual asset type overall for April.
Equity Global (+€8.5 bn) was once again the best-selling sector among long-term funds for April.
Luxembourg (+€47.8 bn) was the fund domicile with the highest net inflows, followed by Ireland (+€33.2 bn) and the U.K. (+€6.1 bn).
JP Morgan was the best-selling fund promoter for April overall, with net sales of €25.1 bn, ahead of BlackRock (+€15.8 bn) and HSBC (+€5.5 bn).
The 10 best-selling long-term funds gathered at the share class level net inflows of €17.9 bn for April.
Mercer Tailored Credit Fund M2 GBP Dis (+€4.5 bn) was the best-selling individual long-term fund for April.

Now, uh ... 'We just need our Detlef to make sense of it all.' Yeah. Detlef! Detlef! Where are you?

Detlef Glow, Lipper Head of EMEA Research at Refinitiv, comments: "European investors started to buy back into mutual funds and ETFs in April after massive outflows from these products in March. Investors returned to the markets after they had somewhat stabilized following the outbreak of The Thing, which caused widespread worldwide lockdowns and stoked fears of a global recession.

"As a result, long-term mutual funds posted overall net inflows for the month. Bond funds (+€23.5 bn) were the best-selling asset type for April, followed by equity funds (+€18.4 bn), 'other' funds (+€1.7 bn), mixed-assets funds (+€1.5 bn), commodities funds (+€0.8 bn), and real estate funds (+€0.04 bn). On the other hand, alternative UCITS funds (-€7.5 bn) were the only asset type with net outflows from long-term mutual funds."

Thank you, Detlef! / Well, I'm sure certain readers will love all that. But me? I'm just about the music these days, man. 'Detlef loves music as well, boss!' Oh, I'm sure he does.

Anyway ...

ENDS

...

Anything else? Well ... I'm only four or five months away from the ten-year anniversary of my getting back into music. I remember I popped into Argos to get a cheap, uh ... £70 acoustic guitar. Maybe I was bored or something. I don't know.

I started off by learning simple chords again … D, G, A ... the chords for that first new song, ah, scrapped long ago. What was it called? Such a long time ago. I can't even remember what it was about. Never mind. / I only practiced fifteen or thirty minutes a day. At times, I wouldn't pick the guitar up for a couple of weeks.

Now it's 2020 with The Thing.

So, in lockdown ... I'll continue to improve my performing skills, yes. And I want to write two more really commercial songs like ...

And Rain Came Down is one of the most commercial songs ever written, man! I've decided. My final judgement, as it were or ... is. It's full of hooks. It has a great chorus. The slightly odd lyric doesn't ruin the effect, really. Read the lyrics for Bowie's Modern Love. They're not the sort of words and message you would expect to see in such a commercial song, BUT(!) ... Bowie knew most listeners would only hear ... Modern love, modern love, modern love, blah blah blah. You dig?

...

Oh, I still intend to stop the music updates and the personal writing. I know you don't believe me.

I mean it!

Laters!