Wednesday 9 August 2023

My big poem

Dear kooks, my big poem is causing me psychological problems now. Maybe I shouldn't have written it.

Which is nonsense, obviously. Of course, I should have written it, and I did. Actually, as soon as I took those three lines from that ex-poem, that ex-Owlman ... and got the title for it ... I knew how good it would be ... as long as I could make the effort to finish it, which I did.

Sometimes in life you have a vision, and after that ... you only need time and effort.

Well, there's definitely Eliot, Rimbaud, and Plath influences on the poem. However, it's in my own voice, not Voice - a rather deranged conversational yet poetic one - and it's definitely the best poem by a living poet.

'Really?'

Oh yes.

I know it is.

And this causes problems. I can't send it to a magazine at the moment for various reasons. I really have to wait to see the results of the National Poetry Competition, next March.

But where will I be next March? I might have relocated to the astral plane by then - if you know what I mean.

Maybe no one will ever read the poem.

And then there's my music. Endless Fun probably is my best song, maybe ... but can I write an even better one ... soon?

And why should I?
Uh.

I wrote and recorded Endless Fun in only six days. That's crazy for me, if you know how I normally work, like.

Can I write an even better song in seven days?

What about eight days?

I don't know.

Anyway, we were supposed to be talking about poetry, weren't we? Look at the title of this post!

My big poem.

'There's a clue there, kooks!'

I'm going to stop writing about poetry, and music, and fitness, and diet, and motivation, and TV shows, and fashion.

This is a finance blog.

'Yeah, yeah.'

The problem is ... I can't think straight because of life.

'Oh dear.'

Life is too chaotic.

From next week, I'll be writing about finance only.

Except with the conceptuals, where I'll be writing about the chaos.

'FFS.'

I think that's reasonable, don't you?

Anyway, those BIG POEMS, my vision of a BIG DOZEN ... I could write all of them in a year ...

'Ha!'

I could!

But that would be the ENDS of me.

Do you understand?

I need to be sensible. Two a year. Three? Two.

Anyway ...

No one can compete with me when I'm really serious. No one can think like me. No one can feel like me. No one can have visions like me.

'That's because you're GONE(!)'

I know, I know.

No one's had a Karate Kid period that went beyond a million and a half words before they started to kick ass.

I've been chopping boards for ages!

'Boards don't hit back.'

Shut up, Voice! You're not Bruce Lee.

'Ha, ha, ha!'

I'm Bruce Lee!

Anyway ...

I'm going now.

Enjoy your weekend.

'I will.'

Not you. Them.

Laters!



Listen! We can't beat chaos. It's impossible. But we can fight to replace the awful reality of the world with our own realities. Each of us can do that, and we must! We must fight, 24/7.

My astrologer was right. Fifty-four is the ultimate fresh start.

Voice?

'Bye!'

And Alexander the Great was right! It's a lovely thing!

'Bye.'

And that guy on the boat. Two heart attacks. Didn't give a toss. Let's have it! Large!

'Uh ... bye???'

I don't want to do two things. It's a big mistake. I'm going to commit to poetry, using my Karate Kid years here as a springboard. And, yes, I will still be playing stadiums. That is something that I have absolutely set my heart on. I don't care how long it takes.



Actually, there are over 4.2 million words in this blog, but I'm taking out the repetition and the PR emails in my calculation.


Saturday update: I've been making changes to my poem, and I think this is the only time in my life that I've reached perfection. I wouldn't change a comma now.