Tuesday 4 March 2008

I knew I wanted to be a financial shaman at the age of five

David Morley - a senior partner at Allen & Overy - says he knew at the age of thirteen that he wanted to be a solicitor. Yes, I know what you're thinking. Each to his own. It takes all sorts to make a world, etc. But I can beat that. As the title of this post makes quite clear, I knew I wanted to be a financial shaman at the age of five.

It all started one day when I was counting the coins in my piggy bank. Altogether there was £3.47. How do I remember this over thirty years later? What's it got to do with you? Just keep reading and don't ask so many stupid questions. I've got a good memory, all right? Well, as I say, there was £3.47 in the piggy bank. But then my eyes (third eye? I don't know) were drawn to this strange gold coin that I hadn't previously noticed. The only marking on the coin was the face of a peculiar old man. He looked very much like a hermit. Of course, I didn't think that at the time, but I've had dealings with quite a few hermits since, and they all look pretty much alike. Which makes me think that hermits aren't very imaginative or original. They've all got beards and wear silly gowns. Well, the ones I've met have been like that. But I digress. Getting back to this gold coin, I can now tell you - and I've never told anyone this - the coin started to speak to me. And yet again I know what you're thinking. You're thinking - this guy's a fucking head case, even when he was a kid. Yeah, yeah, very funny, keep laughing. Some of you are so small-minded. I'm telling you the truth. The old man pictured on this coin spoke to me. It could have been a mystical hallucination, I'll grant you that. But even hallucinations are a part of reality, as any mystic or shaman worth his salt will tell you.

What did the old man say to me? You're expecting me to tell you that now, with your attitude? Get the fuck out of here! All I will say is that he revealed my destiny to me. Make of that what you will. And I bet David Morley is not laughing. He knows where I'm coming from.