Wednesday 11 May 2011

Ingenious Asset Management has more than £1 billion in assets under management

Congratulations are in order, I think. That's quite an achievement. I mean, it has just passed the £1 billion mark. Well, there's a lot of talent at the firm (Ingenious Media). Men like Patrick McKenna and Duncan Reid. I don't know if they work in the asset management department, but they should. I'm a little bit worried about Duncan, to be honest. Not too much. Maybe it's just a bad picture on the website. He looks like an Action Man. Still, it could be worse. He doesn't look like a Barbie doll, you'll be pleased to hear. Imagine that!

But any sort of doll or puppet is going to present problems. I hope it is just a bad picture. At least they don't have to pay him anything. They put him in a chair in the office and let him get on with it, I suppose. I almost envy him. I often speak of my emptiness, but I'm not a doll, or a puppet, or a scarecrow - yet. I have a soul. It may be empty, but it is a soul. If I were a doll, or a puppet, or a scarecrow, I could get a good job, somewhere like Ingenious Media. However, there would be problems. Oh, they wouldn't have to pay me. I could sit in the chair with my hands on a computer keyboard, or maybe I could hold a phone, forever, with a serious expression, like an important person. It would impress casual observers. I'm sure of that. But if anyone spoke to me, I would stare at them blankly. There would be no words to convince anyone of my usefulness to the organization. So should I envy him? I don't even know what I want out of life. Pack me in a box. Put me in a glass cabinet. He doesn't work in the asset management department. Ingenious Investments. Ingenious Ventures. So what? It doesn't matter now. So pack us in boxes. Or put us in glass cabinets, side by side. It could be freedom. No emotions. No pain. No desire. No ambitions. Not moving. Not breathing. Fixed. Unchanging. Stuck. Would that be freedom?