Tuesday 26 July 2011

Jokes about the death of Amy Winehouse

Rejoice, O young woman, in thy youth; and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth, and walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes: but know thou, that for all these things God will bring thee into judgment - Ecclesiastes

Apologies for the Bible quote. I'm not a moralist. I do believe in God, but I also believe He has too much class to judge anyone.

Now, those jokes, and the jokers. It's hard to criticize the people who are telling jokes about the death of Amy Winehouse without coming across as a humourless moralist, but I really think it's a question of sensitivity rather than morality. Have these jokers on the internet - and other places, I presume - seriously considered the certainty of their own deaths, and the deaths of their loved ones? After all, it happens to everyone - eventually. Is it something to laugh about?

It could be a lack of imagination. It could be a lack of respect. It's certainly a lack of sensitivity. Death isn't funny. Even if you loathe the person who has died. Even if you're indifferent to that person. Especially if you're indifferent. 'Oh, I don't care about so-and-so. You've got to read this on Twitter. LOL.' Not smart. Not clever. Not cool or edgy.
_________________________


Dear reader, let's put death away, back to the depths. Are you sensitive to life? I hope so.

Are you sensitive to human weakness? Amy Winehouse was a genius. And she was weak, for giving in to her demons. She was also strong, for going out into the world and achieving something remarkable. What is your weakness? What is your strength? My weakness is depression. My strength is this blog.