Thursday 28 February 2019

There's a tech skills gap

And it's impacting British business, dear reader(s).

Oh, well.

Never mind, eh?

Anyway, about my music ... 'Come on, boss, play the game. Do the PR email.' Eh? Do the PR email? What is that, Voice, a new dance? 'No. It's this -'

Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths are key to the innovative small businesses that are set to make up a significant proportion of the Government's future industrial strategy. Research and innovation are the main drivers behind the industry disruptors that make up our world-leading SME sector and the keys behind this are the skilled individuals that form these businesses. However, there is a skills gap that means that these key roles are often going unfilled as young people leave school and university without the relevant skills.

This has never been of more importance as more than 50% of modern jobs require some degree of technology skill, with experts predicting that this percentage will increase to 77% in the next decade. If we are not proactive in teaching these skills the gap is only likely to grow apace with the increasing numbers of tech related jobs.


Oh, I see. Yeah, yeah. I suppose it's a real shame, man, but I don't care. Listen, I wanted to be a computer programmer when I was a kid. Then I got the rock and roll bug. I haven't looked back. Long live rock and roll! And funk! (More of that in a while ...) 'All right, boss. Mark Brownridge has got something he wants to say.' About funk?! 'No. About the skills gap. Christ!' Okay.

Mark Brownridge, Director General of the Enterprise Investment Scheme Association, has commented on what this skills gap means for British small business: "The Government's industrial strategy and changes to the 'knowledge-intensive' portion of the Enterprise Investment Scheme have made it clear that innovation is at the forefront of future plans for the UK economy. The SME sector contributes £2 trillion each year to Britain's economy, this crucial pillar of the private sector is a world leader in new ideas and technology that will drive forward progress. It is, however, clear that the skills needed to push forward the businesses in their respective fields are often in short supply in those leaving university and school and applying for these jobs."

Oh, okay, okay, I see. Our Mark has faith in the government. How quaint! / And that's the ENDS of that!

...

Anything else? Music? My music? Funk? My funk?! Okay. I dreamt a new tune last night. It's a crazy earworm of a tune, and absurdly funky. If I decide to write this song ... I'll have to get Mark Ronson to produce it. I reckon it will be something like Uptown Funk. Seriously, kook(s). 'Ha!' Yes, ha!

Er ... I've got to write another post later, the last one of the week. Not a finance one, if I can help it.

So, laters!