Monday 19 November 2007

Will Tullett Prebon and GFI merge?

Interdealer broker Tullett Prebon and its rival GFI have held talks about merging the two companies. In recent years these companies have had a number of legal battles over allegations of staff poaching.

If Tullett and GFI can get it on and work together, that would be great news. I don't like to see people fighting. Let's all work together and hold hands and drink Coca-Cola.

The poaching of staff though reminds me of my time at Shaman Money Management. I actually tried to poach Michael Oliver from Mystical Cash Gurus. He still works for them and he doesn't get paid much, but job satisfaction is what floats his boat. He says, 'I knew SMM would go out of business. The company was run by a bunch of clowns, as Michael Fowke will tell you. I have been at Mystical Cash Gurus for over ten years now and I just love it here. The culture is brilliant. You don't have to wear a suit. I come into work wearing a shaman's ceremonial gown and no one bats an eyelid. Trying doing that at Goldman Sachs and see how far you get. They would kick your arse out the door before you could say - where's my bonus?'