Monday 26 August 2013

Summer's almost gone ...

As Jim Morrison once sang. I'm not bothered. It's been great, but I'm looking forward to the cooler weather. I'll be able to get some work done. I'll be able to shut my windows and record my songs. / Oh, I tried finishing You're Lying last night, but it was a disaster. The words wouldn't come - at least not to the same high standard of the one verse I wrote last week. So, more pain, more suffering. It's gonna be worth it. I've got to believe that, man.

I've been thinking about all the classic standards - you know, Songs for Swingin' Crooners. Mack the Knife is definitely the best (Bobby Darin). I think it's the greatest song ever written. (It feels strange agreeing with Simon Cowell.) / There are some with great titles: By The Time I Get To Phoenix, I Left My Heart In San Francisco. The second best? It's got to be My Funny Valentine (the Sinatra version). Summertime (Sam Cooke)? Great! / We're talking real songs here, man. Can't people write real songs any more?

My all-time top twenty list -

1) Mack the Knife
2) My Funny Valentine
3) Night and Day
4) Summertime
5) Yesterday
6) Something
7) By The Time I Get To Phoenix
8) This Guy's In Love With You
9) One For My Baby
10) It Had To Be You
11) The Girl From Ipanema
12) All the Way
13) I've Got You Under My Skin
14) I Get A Kick Out Of You
15) Someone To Watch Over Me
16) I Left My Heart In San Francisco
17) Tomorrow
18) Smile
19) As Time Goes By
20) These Foolish Things