Thursday 7 March 2019

Insecurity

There's a lot of insecurity in the financial sector when it comes to the use of free instant messaging apps.

I wouldn't know, myself. However, William MacDonald knows. He knows all about it.

As more people in the financial sector work from home or remotely, the use of free instant messaging apps, such as WhatsApp, is rising to enable remote employees to communicate with their colleagues around the world. However, data from a recent survey from StarLeaf, conducted by Vanson Bourne, has revealed that 78 per cent of IT decision-makers within financial services reported having serious security concerns around the use of free consumer messaging apps.

I don't think that's William speaking. It might be him. It might not. It might just be the PR person.

William will definitely be speaking soon. If I let him.

The survey revealed that instant messaging is overtaking email, with 61 per cent of respondents in the financial services sector stating it is the most effective way to communicate with remote colleagues, compared to 58 per cent for email. Instant messaging can offer high speed of communication and fast decision-making, which can be crucial in the financial sector to be ahead of the competition and drive higher profits. The transition from email to instant messaging is further reflected in the survey, with 52% of financial services respondents reporting an increase in the use of free messaging apps.

That's not William. I'm convinced that's not him. / As for the email or instant messaging debate, I've always found that the astral plane is, uh, was ... the best way to communicate. Of course, I banned it for business use.

However, while instant messaging is becoming increasingly popular within the financial services industry, organizations are also expressing concerns about the security of these free apps. 85 per cent of respondents to the StarLeaf survey reported that the security of their instant messaging apps could be improved. These concerns reflect the potential for free messaging apps to undermine corporate network security, opening up financial services organizations to data breaches, and providing a point of entry for malicious hackers looking to disrupt business operations and steal customer data. As corporate networks have grown in complexity, and data breaches can occur from something as simple as sending an email to the wrong person, financial organizations must ensure that security is a priority.

Will I ever hear from William? Will I ever hear his words pouring from his mouth? I can't bear it any longer.

William, speak!

Commenting on the findings William MacDonald, Chief Technology Officer at StarLeaf, says: "Data security and protection has never been more crucial within the financial industry. With consistent news coverage of cyber-attacks, it is vital for finance firms to -"

No, that's enough!

ENDS

ENDS

ENDS

...

Anything else? No.

...

I built it up, all the excitement. There's no way William could have impressed me.

I don't blame him.

I blame myself.

I'll know better next time. If there is a next time.

But it doesn't matter. I got the basic news out. My work is done.

Next week, there will be more news, more work. I can't say I'm looking forward to it. But I must do my duty.

That's a joke.

Nothing is my duty, my only duty.

Silence would be nice.

One day, I'll get my own planet. I'll travel with my soul, in my soul, whatever.

Or maybe ... I'll stay here.

It's possible that there's nowhere to go with spirit.

Spirit could be a fantasy, anyway. There's no proof. It feels great, believing outlandish shit.

But where's the proof?

I'll say it again: It feels great, believing outlandish shit. / I do it often. But I don't take it seriously. I don't base my whole goddamn life on it. My life, my new life, is based on the reality I see all around me in the world.

So, take massive action. Achieve amazing things. Anything else - beyond the reality of the world - is a bonus.