Thursday 5 February 2009

Jon Asgeir Johannesson and the British vultures

No, it's not some fucked-up avant-garde rock group. Jon Asgeir Johannesson is the chairman of the Icelandic investment group Baugur. And he has got a bee in his bonnet about British vultures.

This is what he told me: 'Michael, my friend, this is a serious problem. I know you're a good man. You're not a disgusting vulture. Alas, the same can't be said of many of your countrymen. You remember Dexter Boomer? I knew him well. He was attacked by a money vampire in a London pub. He committed suicide last month. He couldn't live with the shame. What has all this got to do with vultures, you're probably wondering. Well, let me tell you. Money vultures are the next big thing, the next big threat. And they are mostly British. And they lurk in the side streets of the City of London. And they are invisible! Yes, my friend, invisible! That's what makes them so dangerous. They are astral vultures. Did they escape from the astral desert? How would I know? But they steal money, Mike. They have no morals. Invisible! At least with money vampires you know where you are. You can see them coming. I'm very fearful, Michael. What has happened to your country?'

Er, I'm not too sure about this. But I will look into it.