Thursday 29 November 2018

I'm listening to David Bowie this morning

I don't want to write about finance, dear reader(s), if you don't mind. It starts to get a bit old after eleven years. Do you know what I mean?

Anyway, the first song is The Supermen from The Man Who Sold the World. I like it because it's Bowie at his most deranged. I'm not crazy about the whole album though. The best thing is the sinister atmosphere, I would say - similar to OK Computer (a far superior album, obviously).

Quicksand. My favourite song from Hunky Dory. Seal did a great live version of this. I've put it on Twitter.

Moonage Daydream. You're squawking like a pink monkey bird. Enough said.

I won't be going beyond Absolute Beginners in 1986. I don't believe in rock legends making a return to form - as the reviewers always like to say. No one ever makes a return to form. It's a myth. Occasionally, you might get someone like Neil Young recording ONE(!) great new song like Ramada Inn. But that's fucking rare, man.

Lady Grinning Soul. / Uh. I'm not listing all the songs. What's the point?

1984. This is an underrated song. I mean, people don't mention it much, but it's really cool.

I'm not playing the hits at the moment. Bowie had twenty or thirty big hit-type songs. You know, Let's Dance, The Jean Genie, Fame, Golden Years, Starman, etc, etc. / I've written before about most recording artists only having two or three such songs on their Best of collections. Guys like Joe Jackson and Steve Harley. And that's my obsession, man. I mean, writing songs of that quality and power. I believe I will have eight or nine (out of eleven tracks) for my first album. That's a lot, yeah, but it will sound all right because of different styles, structures, etc. The Beatles often had six or seven per album. (Not necessarily released as singles.) Oasis, too.

Somebody Up There Likes Me from Young Americans is another underrated song. / Oh, the Young Americans song is a classic hit-type song, but it only got to number eighteen in the British charts, and twenty-eight in the American charts. And that's why you need lots of these songs, pop picker(s). Not every song will have the impact you want or expect.

Blackout. Cool. Red Sails. Very cool. Teenage Wildlife. I love this song! Yet another underrated album track. Bowie has/had loads!

...

Okay, okay. That's enough. I hope you have a nice weekend, crocodiles(s). Laters!