Thursday 16 January 2020

Flybe has been rescued!

Yes, a PR email from our Jinksy. Well ...

Some creative Government accountancy may have found Flybe calmer skies; but its narrow escape highlights the precarious state of UK aviation, says the international courier expert ParcelHero. It is warning that with Heathrow's expansion plan seemingly in an eternal holding pattern, UK PLC is missing out on up to £14 billion a year in lost trade.

So ... 'It's nice that he's talking about something else for a change, boss.' Yes, Voice. Aviation. It makes a really nice change from parcels. / Oh, where were you yesterday? 'Me?' Yes, you. Where were you? 'I didn't feel well.' Okay. And you didn't think to tell me? 'I'm telling you now.' Christ. All right. / Anyway ...

Overseas deliveries are likely to be impacted by soaring problems in the aviation industry, warns the international courier expert ParcelHero. It says the consequences of potentially losing the key regional UK airline Flybe would have been severe not just for passengers, but also international couriers.

Oh, God. Deliveries. Parcels. 'Ha, ha, ha!' Jinksy had to get parcels into it somewhere, didn't he? He couldn't just stick to aviation. 'What's wrong with him, boss?' I don't know. I really don't know.

David Jinks, a Member of The Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport, says: "Looking at the major problems facing the UK's international aviation services, it is obvious that issues are mounting both in the short and the long term. It looks as if it took some creative Government accountancy, a re-write of the passenger tax rules and shareholders belatedly putting their hands into their pockets again, to save Flybe. The loss of its cargo capacity would have had a severe impact on international courier services. Goods and parcels are not only flown in specially designed cargo aircraft; many passenger flights also carry freight. In fact, passenger airlines make up to 10% of their revenue from freight carried in the cargo hold of passenger jets. Back in 2012 Frontier Economics reported continued problems with UK aviation connectivity would cost British business £14 billion a year, and its prediction this could rise to £26 billion by 2030 looks even more likely given the current parlous state of UK aviation."

Okay, okay. Notice his boasting, dear reader(s). A member of The Chartered Institute of Logistics & Transport - !!! Well, I'm not jealous. 'I bet you are.' I'm not! 'Why are you going on about it then?' I'm not going on about it.

Right. Let him conclude ...

Concludes David: "Thank goodness Flybe seems to have cleared the turbulent patch. If we had lost Europe's largest regional operator the impact would have been significant on all the businesses who used its cargo services. But we are still concerned about unforeseen reductions in cargo capacity, and fear Heathrow will cease to be a competitive hub and instead becomes a spur from other European countries. If this happens, the UK will continue to lose trade and the cost of international parcels and airfreight to and from the UK will inevitably rise."

Well, some people think the rescue will fail. I'm not bothered, myself, like. As I said the other day, in the future, uh ... there will be no governments and no corporations. Everything will fail, eventually. One day, we'll just have sea and rocks.

ENDS - !!!

...

Anything else? It's the end of the week, man, and I'm tired. I'll have to do my music though. There can be no rest from that.

Listen! Maybe I'll try recording this weekend. And maybe I'll live with any results I get. I mean, I can't go on aiming for perfection, like Kirk Douglas in that jazz movie. He nearly went insane.

Laters!