Thursday 23 November 2023

I mean ...

I might as well.

'Boss?'

I might as well write about poetry, Voice, because I'll be doing my fresh start next week, won't I?

'Yeah.'

Don't be like that.

'What?'

Your tone of voice, Voice.

'Ha!'

Anyway ...

I've been thinking about the technical side of poetry. I mean, could I become a technical master like Auden or Mahon, and is that even important?

To be honest, I'm not sure it's important. The only real reward for becoming a master of technique is the admiration of a few characters, experts, like. But your average person won't care that much because the content of the poems is the most important thing. What are the poems actually saying? You know? How do they make people feel ... or think?

I mean ... Auden has about twenty or thirty great or entertaining poems, but a lot of his poems are as boring as hell, especially the later ones.

I don't know.

And I'm thinking, also ... instead of using established forms like sonnets, it might be better to create your own forms these days when it comes to traditional poetry. I mean ... I don't know. Do you know, kook(s)? / I don't want to write blank verse all the time, or free verse all the time. The thing is ... There's nothing is a traditional poem, but it has its own form, my form, and own rhyme scheme, with a couple of short lines that look like free verse, so ... do you know what I mean? / The "traditional" poem that I put in the competition is the same.

Dylan Thomas had this problem. I mean, worrying about this shit. He eventually settled on counting syllables in his later work, his most mature stuff. However, that might have been a mistake because of the nature of the English language with all its strong stresses.

Actually, free verse and blank verse are quite simple when it comes to the technical side. The only thing you've got to do is control every line. To make sure that every line is as interesting and ... as full of vitality as it can be. You dig?

Yeah, yeah.

Of course, I won't be writing about poetry in this blog any more and ... I always change my mind, so ...

Never mind.

It doesn't matter.

Oh ... I need thirty lines for my new blank verse poem. I mean, I've decided. I've got six. I need another thirty.

'Thirty-six, boss!'

What?! Oh, yeah. That's how long it will be.

I might take my time with this one. Those six lines, and the subject, and the title, were really a gift from the cosmos BECAUSE I had no idea what I was doing at first. BUT NOW I KNOW ... and I must deliver GREATNESS, you dig?

Laters!

'Bye!'

ENDS
ENDS
ENDS