Thursday 30 November 2023

Six lines of blankness

I haven't pushed it forward yet. I haven't wanted to. So, I've still got six lines. Yes, six lines of blankness that I stare at with a blank expression on my face.

Just meditating on it. A bit scared maybe.

Listen!

The cosmos has put me under pressure. I didn't choose the title. I didn't choose the subject matter. I can't really remember writing those six lines. I don't know how I was feeling. I don't know how I was thinking. Can't remember! It just all came to me. Some sort of gift, I suppose, but a gift with massive pressure.

It's my responsibility now to write a GREAT(!) poem. I must write another thirty lines of blankness.

And make no mistake: this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

'Many lifetimes, Mikey. Do you think other poets have been offered this shit?! Wake up! And think again.'

Okay, okay. Thank you, Voice. I will think again.

This is a once in a trillion years opportunity. Talk about pressure!

'Ha, ha, ha!'

What, Voice?! FFS!

'You asked for it. You got it, man. It's no use crying now.'

All right. Idiot. I'm not crying!

[Did I ask for it???]

Anyway ...

I'm looking forward to writing those ten short free verse poems, like the two I've already got. They won't be easy, but ... you know? Don't worry about it.

'I'm not worried. You should be worried.'

I wasn't talking to you. I was talking to the kooks, and myself.

'Fair enough.'

This voice, really.

I just ...

Oh, Voice, what are you doing this Christmas?

'I'll be eating loads of mince pies on the astral plane.'

Oh.

'What will you be doing, boss? Eating loads of mince pies in the world?'

I'm on a diet. Well, I'm supposed to be on a diet.

'Why?! You're not going to be a rock star any more!'

You know why, Voice. There are many different kinds of stars.

'Of course. Sorry, I forgot.'

It's all right.

Listen ...

'I'm listening!'

Not you.

Listen ...

What I'm going to do will be unique. No one has ever done it. And it wasn't even my choice. The cosmos, and Billy, and Dr M wanted it.

I want it? Yeah, yeah. Ha! My life, eh?

Well, I have to admit I was sceptical at first, but I'm totally onboard with it now. They've convinced me.

Laters.