Monday 13 December 2010

Who on earth is Caspar Rock? And why?

There's a rumour going around that Caspar Rock is going to become the chief investment officer at Architas, which is some sort of multi-manager nonsense. Voices familiar with the situation say that Caspar is already the deputy, has been for a while. The sheriff, Richard Philbin, is leaving at the end of the month, so the position is/will be free. Are we supposed to believe any of this?

I think we can believe most of it. Are you shocked? I think we can believe that there is some Architas multi-manager nonsense in this peculiar world of ours. Apparently, AXA is all mixed up in it. And I think we can believe in the existence of Richard Philban. I have actually seen a picture of the man and he appears quite human. Please don't take that as a recommendation. Being 'human' is overrated if you ask me. We need more dolphins. We need them working in finance.

Who on earth is Caspar Rock? That's the question. And why? That's not the question. I think we can do without the 'why?' I have a book Why Beckett. Awfully pretentious. Why would you call a book that? And why would you leave out the question mark? Read the book. You'll find there is no reference to 'why' at all. Pietro Citati's Kafka is much better anyway. A masterful piece of work!

Who on earth is Caspar Rock? That's the question we should be asking. I always knew that Kafka was important. I do have a mind of my own, you know. However, Citati made me realize just how important. Particularly impressive is the section where Citati describes how Kafka turned away from being the new Dostoyevsky to find his own difficult, narrow path of darkness. Every great writer needs to turn away from something, from the easy life. You think this is easy?

Who on earth is Caspar Rock? Oh, it's a good question, and it deserves an answer. I only wish I had an answer. I wish I could satisfy you, dear reader(s). I cannot satisfy you. I cannot tell you who any man or woman is, let alone the mysterious Caspar Rock.

I wish I were a dolphin. In the astral sea. Free from human thoughts. I would think like a dolphin. I had an evil dream last night. No dolphin would dream such a dream. I awoke, confused and upset.

You have to pretend no one will read, that no one will ever read. That's the hard part.