Wednesday 31 October 2012

Donald Mackenzie, Rolly van Rappard, and Steve Koltes: three chairmen for CVC Capital Partners!

Three chairmen! This is outrageous! Why does CVC Capital Partners need three chairmen? (Believe it or not, CVC Capital Partners is one of the world's leading private equity and investment advisory firms. It was founded in 1981 and today employs some people throughout Europe, Asia, and the US. If you're wondering, the CVC team's local knowledge and extensive contacts underpin a thirty-one-year proven track record of investment success. So there!) I'll tell you why. It's because chairman Michael Smith is retiring next year and this great man is worth three normal men. And what makes him so great? Well, I'm only guessing here, but I reckon he's an existential outsider - like me. That's got to be the explanation. And Donny, Rolly, and Stevie? They've got to be the sick half-men. Not my words, you understand, but the words of writer Colin Wilson. From Religion and the Rebel: 'When the Outsider is in his earliest stages - when he does not know himself or understand why he is "out of harmony" with the rest of humankind - his hatred for men and the world makes him an unbalanced misfit, a man full of spite and envy, neurotic, cowardly, shrinking and wincing. His salvation depends upon the achievement of self-understanding, self-knowledge. It is only when he begins to find himself that he realizes that his hatred is perfectly justified: a healthy reaction to a world of sick half-men.' You see, dear reader(s)? / Ultimately, we must consider Mr Smith a failure. Supermen don't retire!

_________________________


Of course, Mr Wilson went on to write novels about spiders invading from outer space or something, so ...

Never mind. / Ultimately, I'll be considered a failure if I don't get my songs finished. I'm full of hope though. The way things are shaping up, I should have two classic pop songs, and one song which is a bit more, well, grand - ? Like U2's One or Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt. Maybe. I don't know. It's hard to tell without the lyrics. But the music is very promising.

I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself by writing this sort of thing in posts because I don't want to be a mediocre songwriter. If my songs turn out to be rubbish I'll have to go through my archive deleting all this stuff.

Anyway, No. 66 coming up later. My conceptual literature is something I'm proud of, and sure of. / So ... I'll get my kicks on Route 66.