Wednesday 6 July 2016

I want my pound back!

The pound keeps falling, falling, falling ... / The question, dear reader(s), is when are we going to take control? Let's get our pound back! 'Ha! You can't control it, boss. It's gone. You've just got to live with the new reality. We're all going to be poorer in Great Britain. Businesses will leave. Investment will dry up. Jobs will disappear. Scotland will go. Maybe Northern Ireland. Maybe even Wales. Unless ...'

...

Unless, what, Voice?! COME ON! Tell us, please! We're all ears. 'Unless some politician with balls (man or woman) steps forward and says: Guess what. We're not leaving the European Union. I don't give a toss that "the people" voted to leave in the referendum. The fact is, they were lied to by morons who aren't even here any more. All the main Brexshitters have done a runner. We've got to save the country from ruin. That's the bottom line. You see?' Nice one, Voice. 'And it better happen soon, like this week.' Ha! I think the Tories are going to be spending the next couple of months choosing a new PM.

A new prime minister, for Christ's sake! Will we get a say, in this amazing democracy of ours? 'Don't bet on it, Mikey.' Ah, the whole thing is a mess.

...

Realistically? I fear it may be every man and woman and cat and dog for himself now, herself, itself. We're on the Titanic, my friends. Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage are waving at us from a lifeboat they had stashed away somewhere. What are we going to do?

Me? I'm going to play my guitar. 'Ha! While the country burns! Get a grip, boss!' Well, what else can I do? Tell me!!!

I'm going to play my guitar. I'm going to record my new song, which is my best song. I'm going to write other songs. With a real sense of urgency now. And, and, and ... 'And?' If I'm lucky, I'll get a deal. Maybe I'll end up in Malibu. Maybe America will take me in as an asylum seeker. I don't know! For fuck's sake! I'm just clutching at straws here.

... 

Oh, calm down, Mikey. 'Are you talking to yourself?' Yes. 'Christ!' Calm down, son. Everything will be all right.

Sunlit uplands
Sunlit uplands
Sunlit uplands

Repeat after me!

Sunlit uplands
Sunlit uplands
Sunlit uplands

We're going to be all right! All right?