Tuesday 23 October 2007

Michael Coogan criticizes the Chancellor

The director general of the Council of Mortgage Lenders, Michael Coogan, has laid into Alistair Darling. He says the Chancellor risks causing a panic among customers by saying that mortgage companies are being irresponsible when it comes to lending.

Everyone seems to have it in for the Chancellor at the moment, maybe it's his eyebrows. I spoke to Keith Busby last night - yes, we're speaking again - and he said, 'Alistair Darling has white hair and black eyebrows. A very interesting combination. It suggests to me that the Chancellor has a very mystical side to his nature. I would not be surprised at all if he converses with spirits in his spare time, but I can't imagine what advice they must be giving him.'

I can't imagine either. His plan to scrap taper relief on capital gains tax is crazy. He may or may not converse with spirits, but he certainly hasn't had any training in financial shamanism.