Tuesday 6 November 2018

Out of reality with my music

When I'm spinning a-ROUND in one of my conceptual posts it's the most beautiful feeling in the world - or out of the world - because I'm out of reality. Can you dig it?

I'm trying to get the same thing with my music. Writing my best songs, my untouchable songs, gives me a bit of that, but I have to think about performance, too.

Lately, I've been rehearsing my songs with my eyes shut a lot of the time. Yes, I imagine I'm standing in front of myself as a shamanic Herbert von Karajan figure conducting the music. I think this is the answer!

...

I'm listening to The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, to give the album it's full title. Bowie had to get out of reality with that album to make an impact after a decade of being ignored. And it worked!

Musically, I need to get out of reality because of my age. I'll be fifty next year. I can't offer myself to the world as a normal singer and songwriter.

I really need those twenty-five world-beaters. Hopefully, spread over five albums within ten years, and supported by the bread-and-butter classics.

I really should finish the lyric for my fifteenth song, but I can't face it at the moment. I know it's going to be ordinary, you dig?

With Malibu, I got the four chords of the verse section first, without melody or rhythm, and I knew it would be a great song as long as I stayed on the Straight Line. And I was right! Mark my words, kook(s), you can't go wrong on the Straight Line - as long as the initial inspiration is first-class.

Oh, no more music updates from now on. I'm serious! [Go to Twitter and the other blog. January, maybe.]