Thursday 13 June 2019

Riverlane secures £3.25 million funding

Yippee!

Cambridge, UK - 13 June 2019 - Riverlane, Europe's most advanced quantum computing software developer, has raised £3.25m in seed funding, led by venture capital investors Cambridge Innovation Capital and Amadeus Capital Partners, with the participation of Cambridge Enterprise.

Yippee! Brilliant, eh?! 'Why are you so happy about this news, boss?' Ha! I'm not, Voice. I'm just glad that someone has sent me a decent PR email at last. 'But what about that music email you received?' Er ... it was classical music, man. 'Shit!' Exactly.

Riverlane is building a simulation engine for microscopic systems to replace expensive laboratory tests with computer simulation. Riverlane's software leverages the capabilities of the quantum computer, which operates using the principles of quantum mechanics. In the same way that graphics processing units (GPUs) accelerate machine learning workloads, Riverlane uses quantum computers to accelerate the simulation of quantum systems.

Christ! Obviously, I understand NOTHING(!!!) about computers, dear reader(s), even though I used to be an expert. 'When you were twelve.' That's right. When I was twelve. But writing submarine games was my limit. 'What about that school project you did?' How do you know about that, Voice? 'I know everything, boss.' Well, okay. In junior school when I was, uh, eleven, actually, we each had to do a project, and I decided my one would be about computers. And guess what! I won some pens as the first prize for boys. The best girl got a prize, too. Pens, too. / The thing is, uh, was ... Listen! I was new to this school, man, and I remember that there was this little prat who said to me, "You won't win those pens." I asked him why not, and he replied, "Because no one ever does." FFS! What an attitude! 'Unbelievable!' What he meant was, he never won anything. But I digress. Let's hear from Steve Brierley -

Steve Brierley, CEO of Riverlane, said: "This seed funding allows us to accelerate our work at a critical time in the development of quantum computers. Computers are central to the design of many new products but when we try to model systems at the level of individual atoms, the rules that govern their behaviour are fundamentally different. Even huge supercomputers are limited to approximations. As a result, the design of new drugs and materials remains primarily a laboratory, rather than a computational, exercise. Riverlane's software aims to unleash the huge potential of quantum computers."

Well, as I say, it's beyond me, this stuff, but I wish them all the best with it, like. / Now, what does Andy say?

Andrew Williamson, Managing Partner at CIC added, "Riverlane is changing the way we think about computation at the most fundamental level. Steve and his team are developing state-of-the-art algorithms that can run on a range of quantum computing hardware platforms. These algorithms can be applied to a number of applications such as drug-protein interactions, biomolecule folding and materials science at a molecular level. This is the sort of cutting-edge technology at which Cambridge excels and at CIC we are delighted to be involved with such an exciting company from the outset."

Ain't it amazing, technology today? 'It's so more advanced than your old ZX81, boss.' Shut up! I bet they can't play Catacombs!  / Anyway, let's finish with Amelia -

Amelia Armour, Principal, Amadeus Capital Partners, said: "Amadeus has a long history of supporting deep tech businesses in Cambridge and we've been impressed by Riverlane's progress. Steve has brought together an impressive team of experts in maths, computer science, chemistry, physics and materials science who share a passion for driving innovation in quantum computing. We're pleased to support the company as it seeks to demonstrate the commercial value of its unique software."

Okay, okay. Well, I hope it all works out for you, Amelia. I'm sure you know what you're getting mixed up in.

ENDS

...

Anything else? Music? My music?! Okay. If you insist, kook(s). I finished a new tune this morning. And I'm keeping this one. With the right lyric, it'll be a really good album track, and I'll use it to replace Going Far at the end of the album. / Most great albums have got one or two weak points, maybe more, but mine won't have any. This is the positive side of endless delays and setbacks: you get time to strengthen your position before ... you go into battle. [I wonder if Julius Caesar ever said anything like that. He should have done!]

Laters!