Thursday 16 November 2023

The devil is in the detail

Yes, from the PR email.

Well ...

"The Bank seems to disagree with the widely held view that the UK economy is creaking badly. While it notes some gloomy data from the most recent PMIs and evidence that labour markets are softening, it does not think the UK is on the edge of a dangerous economic reverse. In fact, three members of the committee voted to raise rates further - clearly suggesting the Bank sees more risk in inflation than in recession."

Okay. Thanks, man.

'Who was that, boss?'

Nick.

'Old Nick?!?!?! WTF?!'

What?!

'Old Nick. The devil, you mean, yeah? Satan.'

Eh? No. Nick. Nicholas Hyett from Wealth Club.

'Nice.'

I said Wealth Club, Voice. Not Jazz Club.

Idiot!

Anyway ...

"Having said that there is some good news where inflation is concerned. Inflation is expected to be under 5% in the final quarter of the year. A substantial fall from the most recently reported number and welcome news for a government that made cutting inflation a key policy pledge."

You see? There's nothing devilish about him at all.

"Overall it's a surprisingly positive set of minutes from the Bank, and certainly doesn't reflect the gloom you might feel on the streets. The result is a pause in rate hikes, but the commentary doesn't suggest interest rates will fall quickly from here."

You see? He's a perfectly charming chap, our Nick.

'How old is he?'

I don't know! Just be quiet, Voice.

ENDS
ENDS
ENDS

...

Anything else?

I'm exhausted, actually. Never mind.

Poetry?

Listen! I'm going to stop writing about poetry because this is a finance blog. However, today ... I don't give a toss, my dear(s). All right?

Anyway ...

I love reading and rehearsing - like a great actor! - my best short poem, There's nothing. (34 lines, 197 words - including one hyphenated).

Listen! I don't need more BIG poems at the moment. It's a good thing I've got that 156-line one, roughly 650 words, just to show I can do it, like, but ... I really think you need great short poems. Not just for magazines and competitions, you dig? BUT because of the times we live in. / Eventually, of course, I'll have a BIG DOZEN. There's no rush though. (Oh, maybe more than a dozen.) Listen! But I'm pretty sure they won't be REALLY BIG. No! And it's best to count words rather than lines, and I would say, yes ... between 500 and 900 words for your my BIG ONES is what you I need ... these days. These days, you know? I hope you understand, poetry fans and general kooks. Whoever's reading, like.

These days!

Forget epic poems. (Those days!) Mug's game.

Laters.

I need a rest.

'It's the weekend, Mikey!'

Yeah, yeah.