Friday 6 May 2011

There's a Goldman Sachs AGM today ...

And a lot of sad people are getting excited about it. They think Lloyd Blankfein is going to rip all his clothes off, and roll around on the floor, and cut himself, and shout and holler, because that's how freedom affects bankers who have been at one bank for so very long. Maybe the meeting will be over by the time I've written this post - who knows? But Lloyd won't be free. He's staying at Goldman Sachs for a while yet.

I know Lloyd. I know all the top guys. None of them need an excuse to rip their clothes off, and roll around, and reach for the razor or the scalpel. It's the culture there. I'm the one who instilled it. It's difficult to be serious and straight all the time. You have to relieve the pressure. And there's a lot of pressure at Goldman Sachs. Like you wouldn't believe. They work a hundred hours a week, you know. They never see the physical sun. And the astral sun has gone.

A hundred hours? Almost in my league. Well, next week. Yes, next week. Another one of my infamous fresh starts. How many is that now? I've lost count. I need someone to discipline me, and not just in my work.