Wednesday 16 January 2013

I'm not even going to pretend there's any financial news worth writing about

It's a sad state of affairs, isn't it? / I've looked around the internet. I can assure you, dear reader, that I've tried my best, but there just isn't any financial news today that can appeal to anyone with any, er, well ... soul? I don't know. Soul is probably the wrong word. 'Vitality, Mikey?' Maybe, Voice, maybe. / I think my readers know where I'm coming from. They're not the square sort who go in for conventional financial websites. They're as sick as I am of the arrogance of the bland and mindless. 'Soulless. Yeah.'

So what are we left with? I won't lie to you: I feel let down. Terribly let down. After all these years. / I'll be working on another conceptual after lunch, No. 87. 'That's a few hours away. What are you going to do until then?' I could write about that helicopter crash. / I'm watching it now on Sky News. I mean, this is news, proper news. Only two people are confirmed dead, which is a miracle. One man is saying the helicopter was spinning towards him, on his way to work. This is life, real life. You never know what's going to happen. / Numbers going up and down, stocks, markets, ain't life, man.

I don't think I'm being too hard on them, the financial journalists. 'They've made their beds, Mikey.' They should do what I'm doing. I'm trying to get out of the game. I've got my music now. I'm sure they have hobbies, other interests. There's no excuse for sticking with a career that isn't going anywhere. (Think of the lovely Stacy-Marie. She's no fool. Intelligence as well as beauty. 'Yeah, unbeatable combination in a bird.') And there's no shame in admitting you were wrong. 'Of course there isn't. It takes courage.' We all make mistakes.

Never mind. / I would say: "They'll learn", but I'm not sure they will. 'What's their problem?!' It's their nature, Voice.