Wednesday 2 August 2023

BIG TENs of poetry

Okay, okay.

Let's start off with my mentor and personal friend ...

Ladies and gentlemen, please put your hands together for ... the man who dreamed of Faeryland ... Mr W. B. Yeats - !!!

The Second Coming
Sailing to Byzantium
Byzantium
A Prayer for my Daughter
The Tower
Lapis Lazuli
The Circus Animals' Desertion
Adam's Curse
The Wild Swans at Coole
What Then?

Nice one, son! (But I have to say ... there are loads of his poems that I like more than The Tower.)

I could easily do a BIG TWENTY for Billy.

Next up ...

The genius behind Cats ...

Mr T. S. Eliot - !!!

The Waste Land
The Hollow Men
The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock
Journey of the Magi
Ash-Wednesday
Four Quartets

Oh, he's cheating though, ain't he? ... with all those big poems.

Yeats missed a trick there, but ... I won't, you dig?

And we've run out of poems, anyway. Only six!

Never mind.

Er ... W. H. Auden??? I can't. I mean, his books are in the back room under a pile of junk with spiders and rain and Christ knows what else.

Okay, okay.

One more.

Old misery guts himself ... Mr Philip Larkin - !!!

The Whitsun Weddings
Aubade
The Building
Church Going
High Windows
Sad Steps
Mr Bleaney
Dockery and Son
An Arundel Tomb
Cut Grass

ENDS

Laters!