Wednesday 6 August 2008

Terry Smith may disappear into the desert

The chief executive of Tullett Prebon, Terry Smith, has been telling his friends and associates that he may run away to the desert if Tullett Prebon and GFI can reach an agreement on combining their businesses.

Very interesting. I have been speaking to Terry, and he told me, 'If this merger goes ahead, I won't be needed any more. I think it's time for me to cut loose of the corporate world, and the desert certainly seems an attractive proposition right now. Ian Hannam phoned me yesterday, and he says he wants to come with me if I go. I'm looking forward to the nights most. Imagine standing in the desert, a campfire going, staring at the moon, swimming amongst the stars in an astral frenzy of pure love. That's the life!'

Well, I hope he does it. And I hope other chief executives take note.