Tuesday 20 July 2010

Fabrice Tourre denies the fraud charges

Goldman Sachs trader Fabrice Tourre is innocent! Or so he reckons. He has asked me if he can release a statement to the world through my blog. Well, Fabrice is one of my oldest and dearest friends, so why not?

See if you can dig this -

I am Fabrice Tourre. I have burned ever so brightly, and I have smouldered in a corner of the office - with no one caring. But that’s all in the past. Today, I am facing a great evil - the SEC! These cold earth wanderers have set their cold hearts on destroying me, and I am alone and at their mercy. Or am I? Don't I have the support of Mr Michael Fowke, the world's foremost financial shaman? YES, I DO! Not only is Mikey the only true friend I have left, but my boss Mr Blankfein is paying him an obscene amount of money to get me off. SO LET'S SEE SOME ACTION! I want blood! I want fire! I want ghosts! I WANT MY FREEDOM!

Okay, let me explain a couple of things. Lloyd isn't paying me anything at the moment. I'm not saying I won't work for Goldman again in the future, but right now we're taking a break. That's something both Lloyd and I have agreed upon. I wasn't let go, and I didn't resign. It was a freelance thing, anyway. I like Lloyd. I like him a lot. But I'm not going to go around whacking people for him. Besides, he has Viniar for that. Right, my friendship with Fabrice. Yes, he is a friend, and I am working behind the scenes to get him off the hook. But I will not be bursting into any fucking courtroom with blood and fire, let alone ghosts. Fabrice has got to understand that this situation calls for subtlety. Yes, it is very tempting to go in mob-handed and cause a scene, and I know that's what Lloyd would want, but I don't have an entirely free hand in this matter. Big Herb has told me that he doesn't want any amateur dramatics. He certainly doesn't want any bad publicity. Fabrice will have to be patient. It'll all work out.

Fabrice, mate, keep the faith.