Monday 27 April 2020

Refinitiv: Lipper European ETF market report - March 2020

Er ...

For immediate release.

Well, uh ... I received this last week. 'Oh dear.' It doesn't matter, Voice. 'Detlef won't be happy, boss.' He doesn't care. Christ.

Yeah, anyway. PR email from Detlef and the gang ...

The promoters of ETFs in Europe faced net outflows of €25.4 bn for March.
The assets under management in the European ETF industry (€719.2 bn) decreased during March due to rough market conditions.
Money market ETFs (+€2.2 bn) posted the highest net inflows in the European ETF industry for March.
The best-selling Lipper global classification for March was Money Market EUR (+€2.0 bn), followed by Equity Europe (+€2.0 bn) and Equity Germany (+€1.3 bn).
Vanguard Group was the best-selling ETF promoter in Europe for March (+€2.0 bn), ahead of Lyxor ETF (+€0.7 bn) and Zuercher Kantonalbank (+€0.4 bn).
The 10 best-selling funds gathered total net inflows of €7.4 bn for March.
The best-selling ETF for March, iShares Core MSCI Europe UCITS ETF EUR (Dist), accounted for net inflows of €1.0 bn.

Okay, okay. Let's hear what our Detlef has got to say ...

Detlef Glow, Lipper Head of EMEA Research at Refinitiv, comments: "The market turmoil caused by The Thing hit the European ETF industry in March 2020 with record outflows. The combination of outflows and the negative performance of underlying markets led to a decrease in assets under management from €839.9 bn as of February 28, 2020, to €719.2 bn at the end of March. The decrease of €120.7 bn for March was driven by the performance of the underlying markets (- €95.3 bn), while the net outflows contributed €25.4 bn to the decrease in assets. Despite the market crisis, it was not surprising equity funds (€465.1 bn) held the majority of assets, followed by bond funds (€219.9 bn), commodity products (€21.5 bn), alternative UCITS products (€5.8 bn), money market funds (€5.2 bn), mixed-assets funds (€1.5 bn), and 'other' funds (€0.2 bn)."

Thanks, Detlef!

ENDS

...

Anything else?

I'm chilly in the sun, which is all right, inside, where there is no breeze.

It comes through the windows, while I'm working, uh, the sun.

And I will find time to play, yes. That's obvious. Everyone needs to play sometime(s). We can't be serious all the time(s).

But even my play is work that I enjoy.

I'm cut off from humanity with work and play, and I have no complaints.

Slightly less than twenty-four years to go. Ha! Then I will rest, I suppose. Like Rod Steiger, I will stare at the sea from my Malibu home ... ?

But I won't be depressed. No!

Actually ...

No, no, no! I won't rest. I'll be like Picasso instead. Listen! You can't stop being who you are. Not if you've spent a whole lifetime building yourself up.

Picasso didn't die until he stopped breathing. And that's so rare.