Thursday 3 December 2020

Refinitiv: European ETF industry on course to face record numbers of ETF closures in 2020

Oh no.

Let's find out all about it ...

The European ETF industry is on course to face the highest annual number of ETF closures since its inception in the year 2000.

Assets under management in the European ETF industry (€874.3 bn) increased slightly over the course of 2020.

358 ETF portfolios, which are older than three years, were not able to gather more than €100 m in assets under management over the course of the last three years.

88 ETF portfolios were not able to gather more than €10 m in assets under management over the course of the last three years.

31 ETF portfolios were included in the ETF deathlist as of October 31, 2020.

Well ... 'Let's not panic until we've heard from Detlef, boss.' Okay. [I'm not panicking. Why would I panic?]

Detlef?

Detlef Glow, Lipper Head of EMEA Research at Refinitiv, comments: "As overall assets under management and flow patterns for the year looked quite healthy, it is not be expected that the industry is in a consolidation mode. Therefore, it is a surprise that 2020 may mark the year with the highest number of ETF closures since the inception of the European ETF industry in 2000.

"Even as some market observers may see a wider consolidation ahead for the European ETF industry and would consider the high number of ETF closures as a clear sign for this, I would not interpret the numbers in that way. From my point of view, the high number of ETF closures in Europe goes in line with high launching activity. Since not all of the new products end up meeting investor expectations, they are closed after a period of time."

ENDS

Okay, so ... uh. Voice? 'He doesn't sound too depressed, boss.' Yeah. I don't know. I mean ...

"It is not be expected"

What did Detlef mean by that? Do you know what I mean? I mean, maybe his mind is ... disturbed, you know?

'I don't know.'

Never mind.

...

Anything else?

Yeah, let's talk about my music.

This could be the album ...

This World Don't Mean a Thing
Lucky You
Round The Bend
What's This Life We Live?
And Rain Came Down
I Want Everything
Good Times
Stella
Malibu
I'm Right Inside
Nothing
Life and Death

Roughly fifty-two and a half minutes long, and easily the greatest album ever. Easily!

I can't say I'm looking forward to writing the lyric for Life and Death. It will be a lot of work.

It would be nice to be ready by January or February, with the demo recorded and everything.

I need to start working like Dan Pena until the blood comes out of my eyes. That's what he says you should do.

Let's be honest, man, my life was intolerable even before The Thing turned up. I need to do my music ... all the time ... you dig?

All the time when I'm not blogging ...

I don't even enjoy "resting". It gives me anxiety.

Never mind.

Later(s), kook(s).