Monday 24 October 2022

SHOCK ANNOUNCEMENT

I've decided to scrap Life and Death.

Why?

I was reading a David Bowie book at the weekend where he said that Bob Dylan's music is boring. And it started me thinking ... yeah, these long poetic songs that go on forever about all kinds of shit are boring, man.

However ... !!!

Nothing is still great for two reasons -

1] It's got the structure and excitement of a rock or pop song.

2] The third verse of the lyric is the greatest verse ever written. It's poetic, BUT(!) ... it's not boring.

Yeah, yeah.

The only Dylan song I enjoy listening to these days is Like a Rolling Stone. It's a great rock song, and the music is more important than the lyric, you dig? / Actually, the lyric is the cherry on the cake of the music. That's the way it should be. We don't want our lyrics as cakes, do we?

Uh.

This leaves me with problems now, kooks.

For one thing, I've only got a BIG NINE of songs again -

Mighty Soul
Shady, Dodgy, Shifty
The Future
Nothing
This World Don't Mean a Thing
Stella
Malibu
What's This Life We Live?
And Rain Came Down

And ...

I still want to put The Future on the demo and the album, which means I probably need to write two more songs that will fit in with all the other songs.

One of those songs will have to be a BIG TEN song.

It's a nightmare!

'Do you want my advice, Mikey ... as your invisible manager, like?'

What, Voice? Tell me!

'You're going to need to do some sort of crazy ass creative Hell Week to get these songs. You can't fuck around any longer. You need to get this situation sorted.'

Christ, yeah.

Kooks, I'm not sure you appreciate what it means writing one more BIG TEN song. It means writing one of the greatest songs ever. Just to add to a bloody list! / [The rain one is as good as All The Young Dudes. Just saying.]

It's psychologically important though.

Do you understand???

'Maybe you should write two small songs for the album - quickly. And then worry about a BIG TEN song later.'

I don't know.

I could go back to this album, I suppose -

This World Don't Mean a Thing
Lucky You
Mighty Soul
Shady, Dodgy, Shifty
Round The Bend
What's This Life We Live?
Stella
Malibu
I'm Right Inside
Nothing
Good Times

All those songs are completed. And it's still a Citizen Kane of albums like I wanted.

'Mikey.'

What?

'Make a commitment to putting your demo online in January. That gives you just over two months to write new songs and record the demo. And then just go with what you've got.'

Yes, okay.

I'll do that.

January
January
January!

Seven years since the first demo. Crazy!

Two possible demos ...

Mighty Soul
Shady, Dodgy, Shifty
The Future

Or

Mighty Soul
Shady, Dodgy, Shifty
Nothing
Stella

January
January
January!

Can you dig it?

Bye.



Oh, before I go ... I've just listened to a rough recording of an unfinished rock ballad from a couple of years ago ...

'And???'

It's got potential. That's all I'm saying at the present time.

You know how I get carried away ...

Anyway ...

Laters!