Monday 1 July 2013

Bad news

There is no financial news today. Which is rather good news, I think. / Yes, I've looked around. (By the way, I reckon Aviva Investors should have wandered around [No. 132], not a-ROUND. Never mind. My mistake. I'll be more careful next time.) Oh, I've looked around, man. I couldn't find no news ... that interested me. Maybe I'm in the wrong game. 'We all know that, Mikey!' / How was your weekend, Voice? 'It was all right. I floated over to Glastonbury to see The Rolling Stones.' That's nice. Did you get muddy? 'There wasn't any mud, boss. Besides, I don't have a body.' Yeah. Did you speak to anyone? 'A couple of spaced-out guys. They took it in their stride.' Well, they would, wouldn't they, Voice?

...

Oh, he's gone. / I've made a list of what I think are the thirteen greatest Beatles songs. (Thirteen may seem a strange number, but I couldn't leave out All You Need Is Love, and I couldn't add Here, There, and Everywhere or In My Life.) I'm going to measure my own songs against it, use it to motivate myself. / Here's the list -

1) A Day in the Life
2) Strawberry Fields Forever
3) Hey Jude
4) Yesterday
5) Something
6) Let It Be
7) The Long and Winding Road
8) Eleanor Rigby
9) Penny Lane
10) Here Comes the Sun
11) While My Guitar Gently Weeps
12) I Am the Walrus
13) All You Need Is Love

I think Noel Gallagher has written three songs to match those on the list: Live Forever, Don't Look Back in Anger, and Wonderwall. / Most songwriters these days can't even get close ...

...

Obviously, I'm talking about "great" songs here, but I want to write catchy pop songs as well - which wouldn't really make the list. / I Want to Hold Your Hand is brilliant, but not in the same league as Yesterday or Hey Jude from a technical songwriting point of view.

Anyway, it's lunchtime, man.