Friday 8 August 2014

Thomas Lack has been at Brewin Dolphin since June!

June ... ... ... / Yeah, Tommy has been at Brewin Dolphin since June! No one told me, dear reader(s). Why am I always the last one to know? / Tommy is the new chief operating officer. He used to work at Coutts. 'What, Mikey?!?!' Coutts, Voice. 'Oh.' Yeah, he was the head of wealth management operations there, for just over a year. Before that, he was at Royal Bank of Scotland, for a while. Well, ten years or so. He must have liked it there. 'This is all very interesting, boss.' And he was at Morgan Stanley and UBS, too. He studied physics at Oxford. 'Nice.' He was in the rowing society or something. Always getting into arguments. It was the wine that did it. 'Never mind.' Water under the bridge now, BUT(!) ... and it's a big BUT ... no one seems to know who Thomas Lack is. 'Ah. The old problem. Who have you spoken to?' I haven't spoken to anyone, Voice. I instinctively know that no one knows. 'You and your instincts!' Yes, me and my instincts, you little idiot! My instincts have never let me down. Don't forget that I'm one of the most powerful mystics of all time. 'Like Rasputin!' Well, I suppose ...

Rasputin ... ... ... / I know things even when I don't know! I can take a man like Tommy Lack - a man who barely exists - and I can know that maybe ... there is NOTHING to know, you dig?

...

Anything else?

Who says the space people have got no eyes? Not me! I would never say that. / Bowie in the Seventies, out of his mind on coke. However, it's a good question.

I've been flicking through Paul Trynka's book on David Bowie, Starman. (I've read it before.) / I'm glad he thinks so highly of Bowie's Absolute Beginners song. I actually think it's Bowie's best song. It seems to be underrated for some reason. Maybe because it's attached to a mediocre film.

My music? Well ... I did some lead guitar improvising on the blues scale last night which was way beyond the ability I was hoping for just a month ago. And that's only on an acoustic. It will be even better on a Telecaster, if I ever get one ... / However, I still haven't recorded my best song You're Lying yet. (It's been too hot, and I need the fan on.) I'll try again soon. I'm still convinced it's one of the greatest songs ever written. I'm talking top five, up there with My Funny Valentine and shit. I've got to get the recording right though, you dig? No prisoners!

...

'Er ... anything else, boss?' Not until later, man. Laters ...