Wednesday 19 January 2011

A man passes a doorway at the Bank of England in the City of London

A blur. Just a blur. Where is he going?

The Bank of England will have to raise interest rates soon. Does he know? Does he care? He has a nice suit, an umbrella, black gloves. He has an aching head, maybe an aching heart. Two lions above him, holding keys. The significance of this? I do not know. And I am sure he does not know. He does not even notice them. 'Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not.' Can he hear anything, frozen in time, as he is? I doubt it.

And that Bible quote, it could apply to so many people. In fact, I am sure it does. Open your eyes, my children! Open your ears! God is standing before you, and he speaks. Invisible silence! Oh, go back to sleep, then. There is money to be made. There are sheep to be sheared. There are slaves to be whipped. I cannot save the world. I cannot save myself.

Will one lion open the door to hell? Will another lion open the door to heaven? How would I know? I am limited. We all are. Images on a door. Oh, if only they were alive! Would they bestow more life upon us, or would they snatch our lives away?

What are you doing? If I could stop you, I would. The stories you tell yourselves are very comforting. Death does not exist in your narratives. You are moving on, moving away; children, you keep on keeping on! I want you to be still. I want you to be silent. This is my sadness. I fear you will not stop until the very end, by which time it will be too late.

You are a blur. All of you. Where are you going?