Monday 19 January 2015

Jean-Louis Scandella is a rather strange man

It's bad enough that Jean-Louis Scandella thinks he works for Barings Bank ... but, but, but NOW(!) he's telling anyone who will listen that Barings has expanded his role within the bank! According to him, he's the head of equities and ... he reckons, soon, he's going to be getting involved with the bank's global emerging markets portfolios. It's just unbelievable! I'm almost lost for words. / Jean, son, if you're reading this post: there is no Barings Bank, okay?! Nick Leeson saw to that way back in 1995. Don't you read the papers? Don't you watch the news? Why are you wasting your life like this?

And Ken Lambden is sticking his oar in, praising Jean to the skies: "I am pleased that Jean-Louis has taken ownership of ... blah, blah, blah." Something along those lines. I don't know if Ken is as deluded as Jean is, or if he's involved in some kind of con, a long firm maybe, with Jean as the mark. (Actually, one of the marks. We all know there are others.)  I mean, these grifters are very clever.

...

Enough already!

Why am I writing tonight, dear reader(s)? There's no mystery. I want tomorrow off, that's all. Don't get upset. I'll be back on Wednesday with the usual nonsense.

...

Politics? How many months to the general election, man? I'm starting to feel oppressed. Do you know what I mean? (I doubt you do. I can't imagine you live the way I live.) The sad thing is, it's unlikely that the election will change anything. Politicians don't have any power these days. If they behave themselves and do what they're told they get treated well by their masters. (Look at Tony Blair!) But they don't have any power. / My only consolation is that God is ... a-ROUND. Let's leave it at that.

Music? I watched Top Gun on TV the other night, for my sins. There's a scene with the song You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling. (Listening to it now!) It occurred to me that a classic mainstream song like that is worth twenty Velvet Underground "classics" or Joy Division "classics". There's something special about such songs. They capture an age, or the feeling of an age, you dig? When a Man Loves a Woman, I Heard It Through the Grapevine, He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother ... you get the idea, I hope.