Wednesday 29 January 2020

Are Chinese parcels safe?

Ah, Christ! Is that really the first thing he thinks of? 'Who, boss? Who?' Ha! Who do you think, Voice? Take one guess. You only get one chance. Go on. 'Jinksy? Our Jinksy?' Yes. Congratulations. 'Yippee! Do I win a prize?' No. 'Not even a Jammie Dodger?' No. 'You're so mean.' Shut up!

As importers brace for coronavirus impact, should shoppers question the safety of Chinese parcels?

ParcelHero says international shoppers are increasingly concerned about Wuhan packages; as new parcel restrictions and factory closures are set to impact on many imported item orders.

The spread of the coronavirus is likely to impact significantly on UK importers and consumers, warns the international courier services expert ParcelHero. It says restrictions on shipments and compulsory factory closures in China's Hubei province, which is at the centre of the coronavirus outbreak, will mean significant delays on items from this important Chinese manufacturing area. And it cautions concern is spreading worldwide about the potential dangers of receiving parcels from Hubei.

Well, I suppose it is a problem. The thing is, dear reader(s) ... I've got my mind on other stuff, you know? I mean, call me strange, if you like, but I don't spend all of my time worrying about parcels from China, or - 'Parcels from anywhere, boss. Let's be frank.' Yes, thank you, Voice. I was just going to say that.

I just don't care about parcels. 'So why do you keep using these PR emails that Jinksy keeps sending you?' Oh, I don't know. I suppose ... I'm fascinated. 'By the man's bizarre obsession.' Exactly! What makes a normal, healthy man - in the prime of life - devote himself to parcels?

Anyway, let's hear what he says ...

Explains ParcelHero's Head of Consumer Research, David Jinks MILT, "Over 50 cases of the coronavirus have been confirmed outside mainland China, including in the United States, Australia, France and Thailand. Fears about the spread of the virus beyond China through parcels shipments have been expressed in many key China export markets such as the USA and Malaysia. A US laboratory chemist who received a parcel mailed via China Post's Wuhan facility complained to the United Stated Postal Service that such parcels could potentially spread disease 'depending on the contents of the package'. Alarm in Malaysia has become so great that its Deputy Director of the Ministry of Health, Dr. Li Guozhong, was forced to made a statement to Malaysia's national newspaper, Sin Chew Daily, saying that it takes more than 24 hours for a package to be shipped from China to Malaysia, so the risk of the Wuhan pneumonia virus passing through the package is low."

So, it’s a low risk with parcels. Just as I thought. I'm no expert, of course. 'Jinksy's an expert.' Er ... with parcels, Voice. With parcels. Not with medical matters. Christ. I mean ... never mind!

Anyway, there's loads more of this, kook(s). Uh. I'll let him conclude ...

Concludes David: "China's New Year holiday has been extended to next Sunday, and in Shanghai the government has stopped virtually all businesses from returning to work until 10 February. Production of items popular in the UK is likely to be impacted, as are mailings from affected areas."

Thanks, man!

ENDS

...

Anything else? Music? Well, I did a bit of recording last night. I didn't get the results I wanted, BUT(!) ... I'm making good progress, man. I've found a nice spot in the house where there's no street noises. Also, my voice is in its best shape ever. The guitar was too rough for my liking though. I suppose I'll have to fix that by doing crazy hours of practice, Coltrane-style. / So ... I'll try again at the weekend, after my blogging is done, like.

Laters!