Monday 28 February 2022

Financial anxiety hinders millennial job performance

Yeah, like I care, BUT(!) ... Lily has kindly sent me this PR email and I don't want to hurt her feelings by refusing to cover it.

So, here we go ...

Hi Michael​​,

I wanted to get in touch with some new research, which I thought you may be interested in covering.

Well ... okay.

My client, Mintago, surveyed 436 UK millennials (aged between 18 and 34), all of whom are in full-time employment. The data revealed that two thirds (66%) of millennials don't check their pension savings regularly. However, six in ten (60%) said they would engage more with their pension if it was easier to check in on their pots and adjust their contributions; 55% feel their employer should do more to improve engagement with their workplace pension.

Full details are in the press release below, however I also have raw data available, should you want to take a closer look at the findings.

All the best,
Lily

Yeah, yeah. Lily, love, uh ... I don't even have a pension, you dig? You want me to worry about these millennials??? ... who - if they had any sense - wouldn't have stupid corporate careers anyway, and -

'Boss, stop ranting! It's too early on a Monday morning.'

I wasn't ranting, Voice.

Er, let me see ... I'm not doing all of this email. I think I'll go to the voice. 'Me?!' Not you. I mean the voice of Chieu Cao. 'Oh, okay. I thought ...' What did you think? 'I thought you might need my expert opinion for once.' Oh, yeah, sure. Ha!

Anyway ..

Chieu Cao, CEO of Mintago, says: "Workplace pensions are extremely important - for millions of Britons, they are the primary method of saving for retirement. However, our research shows that employees, particularly younger ones, are struggling to engage with their company's pension schemes.

"An employer should not just auto-enrol staff in a workplace pension and then consider this box to be ticked. Businesses must help employees to better understand their pension scheme, the benefits of saving and make it easier for employees to change their contributions. Improving access to financial information for employees, such as the size of their pension pots and how best to manage them, needs to be prioritised by organizations.

"Doing so will benefit employees by putting their mind at ease and enhancing their overall wellbeing. It will put them in better control of their finances, and it will allow them to plan for their eventual retirement more effectively - something the majority of young people feel is daunting because they don't know where to start. Ultimately, improving pension engagement will help to ease a major cause of stress within the workplace, creating a happier and healthier workforce."

I just ...

Never mind.

ENDS
ENDS
ENDS

...

Anything else?

I might watch Point Break tonight.

Bodhi didn't have a pension.

Or I might watch Point Blank.

Walker didn't have a pension.

Do you know what I mean?

Actually, I'm not in the mood for watching films.

I've bought that Elton John audiobook. I've also bought a new book (ebook) about the beginnings of PayPal.

I've got my guitar to play, anyway. And that tune to work on.

And a conceptual to write, of course.

Bye.