Monday 21 February 2022

The tree has gone, man

The tree outside my window has disappeared. It's gone forever. Well, it's lying on the pavement now. But someone will take it away eventually. It will never be seen again. I'm sad about it.

Never mind. Life goes on, I suppose.

Some people like to think Gary Numan ripped off David Bowie. But I don't think that. I think he was "heavily influenced", that's all. And I bet Bowie was jealous of Numan's concept of the android as pop star. That's just as good as an alien as pop star. Also, Bowie only dipped his toe into electronic music with Low and Heroes. He didn't embrace it the same way Numan did. Obviously, a lot of Numan's voice and stage mannerisms were taken from Bowie, BUT(!) ... the whole Ziggy Stardust thing really was like Anthony Newley in space. Do you know what I mean? / Everyone is influenced by something.

I've bought The Man Who Fell To Earth for my phone. It's the only good film that Bowie starred in - with a great performance from him. 'What about Basquiat, boss?' That was a good film, Voice, but Bowie only had a small part as Andy Warhol. And that was a good performance, too. Bowie was best at playing other-worldly types. 'What about Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence ... ?' Er ... I preferred Tom Conti in Reuben, Reuben. His best bloody film, and you can't see it anywhere!

By the way, I love that famous untitled skull painting by Basquiat. I wonder what Francis Bacon thought of it. Picasso was dead by then. But Bacon should have recognized it as one of the great images in art.

A couple of years before he died, Bacon saw Damien Hirst's A Thousand Years in an art show, and - by all accounts - he stood by the work for an hour, just staring at it. Bacon hated most art, including his own. He had such high standards. 'Hated, boss?' Well, I don't know. He definitely had very high standards.

I hope they leave the tree outside. I hope they put it in a glass box. 'You could do it. Call it Windy Tree Forever.' It's not in the wind no more, is it?

I woke up with a dream tune this morning. One minute before my alarm went off. Before falling asleep, I asked the cosmos for a tune, and that's what I got. I was wondering ... Why haven't I had any dream tunes lately? ... then I realized ... I hadn't asked for any lately.

Ask and you shall receive.

Bye.

'Mikey?'

What?

'How about a disembodied voice as pop star ... ???'

Bye.