Thursday 24 February 2022

Refinitiv Lipper: European fund flow report - January 2022

Okay, okay.

Voice? Where are you, Voice? 'What, boss?' We have a special treat today, from Detlef. 'Oh, what's that, then?' Three paragraphs of analysis from him. 'Three?! Is he feeling talkative or something?' Ha! He must be.

Anyway, let's do this bit first -

Long-term mutual funds (+€43.9 bn) posted net inflows for January 2022.
Money market products (-€56.3 bn) posted net outflows for January 2022.
The overall fund flows for mutual funds and ETFs in Europe in January amounted to estimated net outflows of €12.4 bn.
Equity funds (+€38.6 bn) were the best-selling asset type overall for January 2022.
Equity Global (+€22.2 bn) was once again the best-selling sector among longterm funds.
Switzerland (+€10.5 bn) was the fund domicile with the highest net inflows, followed by Germany (+€7.2 bn) and Belgium (+€2.2 bn).
BlackRock (+€10.0 bn) was the best-selling fund promoter in Europe for January, ahead of Lumyna (+€4.7 bn) and Vanguard (+€3.0 bn).

Er ... edited by me to look the way it used to look. No ugly bullet points! We don't need them! We don't want them!

Anyway. Come on, son! 'Three paragraphs!' Big time!

Detlef Glow, Head of EMEA Research at Refinitiv Lipper, comments: "Despite the deteriorating situation with regard to The Thing and the sluggish market environment, it was not surprising that January 2022 was in general a negative month for the European fund industry.

"That said, the promoters of mutual funds (-€38.0 bn) faced outflows, while the promoters of ETFs (+€25.6 bn) enjoyed inflows. Within this market environment and given the economic uncertainties, it is somewhat surprising that European investors sold money market products, which are normally considered as safe haven investments. As a result, the overall fund flow numbers are heavily impacted by the high outflows from money market products (-€56.3 bn).

"This means that long-term funds enjoyed estimated net inflows of €43.9 bn within this market environment. Nevertheless, it looks like European investors are taking rising interest rates, caused by the increased inflations rates around the globe, into consideration as they sold bond products."

Okay, okay.

Thank you, Detlef.

'Thanks, man!'

ENDS

...

Anything else?

I've noticed that the audiobook of the Elton John autobiography is narrated by Taron Egerton, and people say it's brilliant. Maybe I should buy it ...

My music? I'll have to start work on that new tune fragment soon. I want it to be a part of my BIG THREE within the BIG TEN, you dig?

The problem is ... after reaching a higher level of songwriting, I don't ever want to go back again.

I can't understand those songwriters who wrote some great songs thirty, forty, or even fifty years ago, and now ... Christ knows! Do you know what I mean?

I'm not saying it won't ever happen to me. [It won't!!!] But if it does ... I will be filled with self-loathing and living in a state of absolute desperation. 'Unless you don't care about music any more.' Ha! Let's hope that doesn't happen, Voice. FFS!

Listen! I'll be fifty-three soon. My astrologer told me - when I was twenty-five - that I wouldn't start to do my best writing until I reached fifty-four. He was a total Beckett freak, and he was thinking of me doing literature, I suppose, BUT(!) ... it's gonna be music, ain't it?

Hopefully, it will be like a Yeats situation. In his fifties, Yeats went off the fairies, and started thinking big, and kicking ass, and taking names.

Laters.