Tuesday 14 May 2019

Trade war!

People are buying gold ... again.

The Pure Gold Company saw a 234% increase in the volume of physical gold bars and coins purchased on Monday (compared to the daily average in 2019), spurred by fears that the deepening trade war between the USA and China could see equities and currencies continue to fall considerably.

Okay, okay. It's a PR email, dear reader(s). So, no endorsement, and no investment advice. Obviously! However, maybe you should do what I do ... 'Which is what, boss?' Well, you know, Voice. I've spoken about it many times. 'Ha!' Yes. I'm preparing for the apocalypse by filling a spare room full of baked beans. 'And when the end comes?' When the end comes, there will be no electricity, so I'll eat cold baked beans for breakfast, for lunch, and for dinner. Day after day after day ... until I top myself, no doubt.

Anyway ...

Josh Saul, CEO of the gold investment firm, said: "73% of clients investing in gold on Monday were financial professionals (from banking and financial services sectors). Their key concern is the effect of China's retaliation to president Trump's imposition of tariff hikes. This could include China dumping US treasuries, a decline in the dollar, and a rise in the value of gold. The S&P 500 fell by 2.4% on Monday whilst the gold price increased by almost 2% in sterling terms. This points to the inverse relationship that gold has with other declining assets (like equities and the dollar) and reinforces gold's appeal as a safe-haven asset in times of uncertainty. We've seen a notable number of traders state that this could be the beginning of the end of the decade-long equities rally dating back to the aftermath of the 2008 crash. Many are removing exposure over the short-term to be on the 'safe side'."

Right. Thanks, Josh! / As I say, dear reader(s), buy baked beans. Eat them cold. Every meal. Every day. See how that makes you feel. You won't thank me.

...

Anything else? Yeah. Big time something else. St Ives. I've been looking at one of the webcams, dear reader(s), the Sloop Inn one. The weather is beautiful at the moment, and I'm feeling so sick now. 'You've got to record your new demo, boss!' Ha! Tell me about it, Voice! That's another nightmare. Listen! I can play as well as Kurt Cobain in that famous MTV Unplugged show, BUT(!) ... that isn't good enough to get a recording contract, unfortunately. I mean, God rest the great man's soul and everything. However, he got a deal as part of a grungy punk band thrashing around on an electric guitar. The acoustic guitar is another story for him. Watch Cobain play Pennyroyal Tea without the rest of Nirvana. It's not good. In fact, I can play better than that, and ... it's still not good enough, you dig? 'So what the hell are you going to do?!' Well, uh, well ... try recording again at the end of this week, I suppose, and if it doesn't work out ... maybe piss off to Cornwall, anyway. Maybe get drunk down there, and then jump into the fucking sea like Bodhi! 'That's pretty desperate, man.' Yeah, yeah. No, no. Listen! Then I'll come back and do a John Coltrane. 'Okay. Now you're thinking.' It will be bloody painful practicing that much, but what choice do I have? Tell me, son! 'No choice, Mikey.' Fuckin' A! What a life, eh? The sacrifices I make for art!

Laters!