Sunday 3 May 2020

My rules

Yeah, yeah. I've made some rules up. Rules for living, like. I'm not sure when I'm going to start. Not this week.

[Update 4th May: I'm not going to use these rules until after I've recorded my new demo. These rules are hardcore, man, and I'm just not motivated enough at the moment. However, great recordings of great songs will motivate me. So, that's the way it's going to be. You dig?]

But, uh ...

1] Get up at 5.30am, and stay active until 9.45pm.

Note: Seven days a week! I already get up at 5.30am most days, so it's nearly a habit now.

2] At least three and a half hours of guitar playing a day.

Note: This could be tough on big blogging days, but I'll try my best.

3] Listen to the Vance/Musk audiobook on a loop.

Note: Ha! I'll give Elon's Twitter account a miss though. That version of Elon can be a real space cadet at times.

4] No goofing off during active hours.

Note: So ... blogging, music, domestic chores, but no tomfoolery!

5] Go out for a walk no more than once a week.

Note: When the lockdown is lifted, I'll be able to go to Richmond again. Only three hours.

6] Ten minutes of "boxing" a day with affirmations.

Note: I've had my punch bag for years and hardly used it, but I discovered last week (online) that it's good for the whole of your body and general health. And I'm not the sort who goes jogging. / I can do my affirmations at the same time. Dan Pena says you need them.

7] Ten minutes of singing exercise a day.

Note: I sing all the time when I'm playing my guitar. What I'm talking about here is that go, go go voice strengthening video I found on YouTube last year.

8] No personal writing in blog.

Note: Ha! This will be tough. I've only been writing personal stuff because I'm sick of finance. But now I'm sick of personal stuff too. My conceptuals will stay the same. I might get rid of The Voice. I don't know yet. 'No!' Shut up!

9] Only two packets of biscuits a week.

Note: I'm losing weight without even trying at the moment because of the lockdown and no takeaways. So I deserve some snacks. Just not too many.

10] No excessive spending.

Note: I'm not made of money, man.

11] No TV during active hours.

Note: I only really watch repeats of Minder and The Sweeney these days. But this will be a tough one.

...

So, what do you think, kook(s)? I suppose it's all about forming new habits, for the most part.

Oh, these aren't rules for the rest of my life. Just until I get a recording deal. Then I'll have a completely different lifestyle. That's the plan, anyway.

Listen! Life as a rock star will be easier in a lot of ways. I mean, I'll be surrounded by people, and I'll have schedules and commitments for recording, touring, etc. Do you know what I mean?

And that's what our Elon has got. He has to be in certain places at certain times to do certain shit. Goofing off ain't an option.

...

Anything else? Er ... if you're not familiar with The Sweeney, I suggest you buy or rent the first film (1977) from Amazon Prime Video. They made two films, as well as the four TV series. Don't get confused though! Avoid the Ray Winstone remake from 2012. FFS.

Laters!