Thursday 28 May 2020

Last post of the week

Yeah, that's the best title I could think of. Don't worry about it.

So, uh ... I want to write two more ultra commercial songs like And Rain Came Down. Well, looking at other people's songs, there aren't too many in the same league. I mean, some of the songs I've mentioned recently ...

Beat It and Billie Jean by Michael Jackson
Let's Dance and Modern Love by David Bowie
Don't You Want Me by Human League
Baby Jane by Rod Stewart
Out of Touch by Daryl Hall and John Oates
Come On Eileen by Dexys Midnight Runners

These are the sort of songs I'm talking about, man. They're also great songs, you dig? Most commercial songs are trash. Just look at the charts these days.

Oh, there's Hey Ya! by OutKast, too. Uh, songs from the Sixties and Seventies are probably too dated to compete now. I mean, it's hard to listen to She Loves You after Beat It. Do you know what I mean?

Songs by the ladies? Rather strangely, I like Say You'll Be There by the Spice Girls. And I like Can't Get You Out Of My Head by Kylie Minogue. Borderline by Madonna is probably too melancholic - even though I really love it. I've written about the genre of melanchlolic pop before, haven't I?

So, yeah, the point I'm making is ... there aren't many songs that qualify as decent models, you dig?

1999 by Prince!

I Feel Love by Donna Summer. That song could have been recorded yesterday.

...

The park? Yeah, I'm still going to the park. There were four squirrels mucking about in a bush yesterday. They jumped out at me. / I could walk to Richmond, but I'm not sure I fancy it, really.

Even if holidays are allowed soon, how can you enjoy them ... sitting in the pub, away from everyone else, wearing a gas mask, and drinking your pint through a straw?

I can watch the Sloop Inn St Ives webcam, I suppose. And I've got some old videos and pictures.

It's not the same as being there. Listen! I have a fantasy about walking to St Ives, dodging the feds, sleeping in Donovan's pill box, and then ... jumping into the sea like Bodhi. I probably won't do it.

...

Politics? You want to talk about politics, do you? Straight after pop music and St Ives? It's your funeral.

Let me just say ... nothing.

I did write something, but I deleted it. / I could delete this whole post. I'm not writing about music or personal stuff no more.

Laters.


Update 01/06/2020: I'm taking a week off, kook(s). See you next week. Laters!